How to apply licorice extract

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i saw licorice extract in a health food store and just picked it up. Its by Natures Answer in a little bottle. I figured i might as well give it a shot.

To CCS or anyone who has or is experimenting with this, whats the best method to apply this. I got the alcohol free bottle bec thats all they had..its a brown liquid that kind of just sticks to the skin and doesnt seem to absorb well. Not to mention, it stays brown.

any advice on how to turn this into a topical or include it in shampoo?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I'll be interest to see a solution to this, too, just out of curiosity. I've experimented with a lot of those little Nature's Answer natural liquid supplements (melatonin, saw palmetto, etc...), and they are *always* unbearably sticky. You obviously can dilute them, but that's not really what we are going for!

-O.M.G.

holly

Reaction score
Does it say what other ingredients are in it? I wonder why it is brown?

I haven't made a hair topical yet, but I bought some white liquorice extract (powder) from Skin Actives. I made an anti-inflammatory cream with 1% liquorice in it. Since it's white, it doesn't stain. It's water-soluble. SA is pretty expensive, though. When I order again, I will order from BulkActives - a great source for cheap, high quality actives.

For a hair topical, you could mix a 2% solution with distilled water, polysorbate 80, 1% optiphen (preservative), and sea kelp to make a nice leave in gel.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
holly said:
Does it say what other ingredients are in it? I wonder why it is brown?

I haven't made a hair topical yet, but I bought some white liquorice extract (powder) from Skin Actives. I made an anti-inflammatory cream with 1% liquorice in it. Since it's white, it doesn't stain. It's water-soluble. SA is pretty expensive, though. When I order again, I will order from BulkActives - a great source for cheap, high quality actives.

For a hair topical, you could mix a 2% solution with distilled water, polysorbate 80, 1% optiphen (preservative), and sea kelp to make a nice leave in gel.
well its brown because licorice extract is brown no?
the only other ingrediants besides licorice root fluid extract is coconut glycerin and USP purified water.

If i wanted to make that gel, how do u decide the percentages of each ingrediant to use.