How to get my scalp sorted out? (@#$@)

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
current routine: MWF: nizoral, nutrise shampoo, then conditioner. TTSS: normal shampoo if I take a shower.

Before finasteride, my scalp didn't itch. It did get slighlty itchy when I could'nt wash it in 3 or so days, (rough-camping/cragging trips) but other than that, nope. I had a fair amount of dandruff, and for the most part it's gone. When I was diagnosed as a slow diffuser, the scope showed red/pink patches on my scalp. I just checked, same patches.

When I got off of finasteride for that month, not only did the itching go away, but my scalp just felt better. It also felt better when I used nizoral like once or maybe twice a week.

I posted that a week ago i did a nizoral/conditioner only combo and it inflamed my scalp a bit, well I used it Monday and it did it again, albeit in a slighter way. Today I used just used poo and condit, and it feels better.

But I just looked again at my scalp in the mirror, and I see the pink/red spots. The best thing is I have very little dandruff.. but this itching every other day is maddening. It makes sticking to finasteride/nizoral hard.

what would be the best course of action?

ps: also noticed my hair and skin get greasy according to my libido at the time, odd.

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Rudy.. thank you for your insightful and helpful post!

[serious]

Jimmy, I've thought of that.. but I don't want to lose the special effects of nizoral, and not to mention the dandruff would come back full force.

G

T/Gel (with coal tar)

T/Gel (with salicyclic acid - T/Sal)

Rinse your scalp in freezing cold water for a minute or so after you shower.

Try a good moisturiser rub into your scalp two or three times a week
(I have used Nurogena Visably Young with copper peptides)

Folligen

all these things may help.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Yes, especially the Folligen. I mix it 50-50 with distilled water. Really helped my scalp. If you're worried about staining you can buy the Folligen for blondes, it's tin peptides instead of copper peptides but is supposed to be almost as good for scalp health.

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Tynan: Good choices, but how to I add them to my weekly regimen? Where do I get the moisturiser, or are you talking about some kind of conditioner? (omg brit lingo?)

Oldbaldy: Is folligen available over the counter here in the US? Why do you mix it? j/w

Thanks alot guys,
-B-

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Boy BD, I don't know if folligen is available over the counter here in the US.

I ordered mine from follica.com. It was $29.95 and 8 ounces I think. That's alot of solution. Same price as the link on folligen here. Same stuff also. So I'd just order it from the site here from now on.

It's strong stuff. I mix in 50-50 with distilled water to stop the stinging I had when first using it full strength. The doctor that "invented" it said a 50-50 mix is just about as effective as full strength.

To read more about folligen go to the Skinbiology site. It's pretty informative and not one of those "scam" types of sites.

Folligen is more for skin health than a regrowth item IMHO. It might allow other medications to work better? Either way though it helped my scalp heal after an hair transplant 11 weeks ago. My scalp might have still been a little tender from the mega session I had. So you might not experience the stinging I had with the full strength solution.

Healthy scalp means - healthy follicles? Could be! Anyway, I don't expect it to regrow hair, maybe make my natural hairs more healthy. Time will tell, it's only been about 1 month now.

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
I washed my hair w/out nizoral again today, and my scalp isnt 1/2 as red, and I have'nt itched once!

I guess the finasteride has dried out my hair, and the 3 times a week was causing the problems. I say this because I used nizoral before finasteride, and didnt itch from Nizoral. So, obviously the 2 together are too harsh. I'm going to try once on Monday, and once on Thursday or similar. If that's still too harsh, I'll just use it on Wednesday, and maybe try T-gel on Monday's beforehand.

I'll order some folligen asap OB, thanks for all the great info. :)

I'm also trieng to figure out if I should start using minoxidil on my bald spot, it's not huge or incredibly bald, (1" X 1") but it bugs me.

misterium

Reaction score
jimmystanley: Why cut down on the nizoral ?

hey man, try emu oil too.

G

Bone Daddy said:
Tynan: Good choices, but how to I add them to my weekly regimen? Where do I get the moisturiser, or are you talking about some kind of conditioner? (omg brit lingo?)

Oldbaldy: Is folligen available over the counter here in the US? Why do you mix it? j/w

Thanks alot guys,
-B-

moisturiser is the stuff all de lovely lady put on her face.

Neurtogena Visably Young is a moisturiser that you pick up at a pharmachy.

I can't put it any smore simply than that!

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
true, but all de love-lee ladiez dun put eet on dar heads!! they put it on dar faces and dar legs. So what joo talking about mang?

Moisturiser ie: lotion on my head?

eh...

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the concentration percentage of Neutrogena Visibly Young as opposed to say, Tricomin?

worried

Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed that someone said Nizarol would make their scalp red. I have the same thing happen but my scalp never itches. Anyone know what this means and if I should stop/adjust my use of nizoral? Currently I use it 3 times a week.

G

Temples said:
Does anyone know the concentration percentage of Neutrogena Visibly Young as opposed to say, Tricomin?

Very low I think, but it makes my head feel real nice.