How to know if you are ready?

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
Short story. I am almost 31 and at minimum a thin NW3 headed toward a NW5 but very slowly. I have been losing hair since 20yrs old. I am on 1.25mg finasteride and it seems to be halting any further loss.
How do I know I am ready? All I know is the last 7 yrs have been pure hell on my self esteem. I just started getting into the dating scene and am lacking alot of confidence. This occupies my time all day. I used to be an attractive guy and it was all taken away from me.
Should i wait for futher advances? At minimum I am willing to stick it out for 2 more years at the most.
My question is to the people that have gone through with it and ask how did it effect their lives? Are the pros worth doing this over the cons? I would jump at the chance of doing this if it weren't for the scar. I need help. Please let me know how you experinced guys feel... Thanks.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Well if you've got your loss halted then sure, but make sure that your fully aware of what your commiting to. A hair transplant can be worthwhile if done correctly but its not an easy option or a quick fix.

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been doing the research and understand the comittment but I am asking to see how it has changed peoples lives. Does it make you paranoid and obsessive about needing another one in the future or does it free the mind up so you feel better about yourself and have you looking forward to the future instead of hating it. Assuming you go to a top DR (feller in my case) and get it done right.

IBM

Reaction score
grx i think you'll need more procedures in the future. thats for sure.

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
grx i think you'll need more procedures in the future. thats for sure.

There are alot of people far worse than me that have gotten amazing results. The question is WHEN will I need them. In 10yrs etc. By that time there might be other alternatives available.

Sean68

Reaction score
well...yeah. are you asking us to think for you?

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to give you a pretty honest opinion here. Starting the hair transplant route requires dedication. I really don't think I realized when I had my procedure done in January the time and money it would take. I initially had 2500 grafts, and HAD hair. I still need probably at least 2500 more to get "good" coverage. Due to the strip scar, I can no longer buzz the hair. Having my sides and back out longer makes my thinning top more noticeable. My strip scar, though mostly thin, is still pretty obvious due to the coloration of my scalp and hair. I will probably have another procedure done, with a different surgeon early next year. Even if I am happier with the results from this procedure, I will have had to wait over two years to see "real" results from the time of my first surgery. I am less likely to go out in public without a cap now than I was prior to the surgery when I was buzzing my scalp.

Thats not a best-case I'm sure and not a worst either.

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply DD. Those are the exact responses I am wanting to hear. I have yet to try the buzz. That is the next step before a decision is made.
Any more responses from people that have made the leap?

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think the biggest thing to ponder is that having ONE hair transplant is probably not to going to end ones hairloss saga. As I said, I had 2500 grafts in January and though I am disappointed so far, I wouldn't call my results a "failure." I can see where at least a few hundred new hairs have come in just along where my hairline was reconstructed, so I know hair is coming in. I will definitely have to have another procedure to get good density and thicken my crown - but I expected that anyway.

Also, remember the photos you are going to see are all going to be best-case scenario of regrowth and scar healing. You should do research on some of these forums and get more responses before you make your decision.