How to make topical saw palmetto ?

LostWind

Established Member
Reaction score
can I crash saw palmetto to dust and mix it with retin a and apply to scalp?

would that cause any problems / reactions ?

Thanks all

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
LostWind said:

Thanks all

That would be fine - but you don't crush SP - you snip off the end of a cap and then squeeze the juice out into your minoxidil. People that use topical saw also recommend a few drops of polysorbate80 for emulsification purposes.

LostWind

Established Member
Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
LostWind said:

Thanks all

That would be fine - but you don't crush SP - you snip off the end of a cap and then squeeze the juice out into your minoxidil. People that use topical saw also recommend a few drops of polysorbate80 for emulsification purposes.

The SP that I have is in a capsule but its not liquid...its like small hard pieces...so I guess I gotta somehow crash them? I also dont use minoxidil...but I do have polysorbate80, btw is polysorbate 80 a vehicle I rather use it than using Retin-a ? thanks...
Also I think Retin is on prescription here, what else can I use as a vehicle if polysorbate isnt one? can I use Absolute vodka? hahah

TheHairGrower

Established Member
Reaction score
working with SP oil will be alot more effective then the herb form.

you can also try, putting the SP herb in a carrier like alcohal, and let it stand in ther for 2 weeks, shaking it each day. The sp ingredients will then be in the alcohal, duno if the alcohal is good for you

LostWind

Established Member
Reaction score
TheHairGrower said:
working with SP oil will be alot more effective then the herb form.

you can also try, putting the SP herb in a carrier like alcohal, and let it stand in ther for 2 weeks, shaking it each day. The sp ingredients will then be in the alcohal, duno if the alcohal is good for you

How do you find the cream you are using?
the one that contains SP ?
any effect from it ?

G

Why would you need to emulsify or mix the SP extract with alcohol?

I take about 6 or 7 of the 80mg capsules of Saw Palmetto extract and squeeze them into my essential oil mixture. It mixes right up, and there's not even any of the bad smell in the solution. I generally shake up the essentials oils before applying anyways but still not sure why you'd have to mix it with something else to make it a topical. It's already a liquid, though I guess I am mixing it into a carrier oil.

Since I can't smell the horrible smell of the SP in my essential oils I'm wondering if I should add in more to the next batch.

G

Sounds like it'd be good to add into an Essential oil formulation. I don't know about putting it on direct though.