How to style transplanted hair?

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Last Thursday, I was standing in a line at the chemist's and I noticed that in front of me there was a middle aged person with transplanted hair which looked unfortunately weird.

He had a perfect frontal hairline but his density on top was very scarce and the transplanted hair was distributed in a geometrical fashion.

His style was, I repeat myself, very weird: he kept his top hair long and combed it from right to left, but still hair had an upwards movement, maybe to give some volume (he probably used a spray). Sides and back were slightly shorter. However, sides were much more dense than the top and your eye was distracted by the distinction between the top hair and the sides.

So, if you received a transplant, how do you style your hair so that the transplanted hair doesn't look as an alien deposited it on your head while you were asleep? You keep it as short as possible? Do you comb it from front to back? Side to side? You grow it to comb it over?

Do you use any hair product to give transplanted hair some shape?

Please give advice because I would never want to look as the guy at the chemist's...

shookwun

Reaction score
A lot of the time doctors graft so the hair sweeps to the right.

it's angled downwards towards the right as a part.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
These popular 'short-on-the-back-and-sides' haircuts are forgiving for people who've had a hair transplant. Makes the difference in density less obvious. Otherwise, I think the best way to style it is the way anyone with thinnish hair styles it. Perhaps some volume mousse or styling powder finished with some hair spray or lightweight matt wax.

Of course people with transplanted hair can still use concealers like dermmatch or toppik to go for the fuller look. Big advantage here is that it's not a temporary anxious fix, but part of the way your hair can look for many years to come. Personally, I'd much rather use concealers on my transplanted hair - knowing that it's not some brief fix while waiting for the inevitable - than using it while still losing hair.

shookwun

Reaction score
The best way to style transplated hair is a side part, so the hair over laps, and gives more volume.

Forget coming it upwards, it will looks see through.

Brushing it straight forward will show transparency between the temple, and forelock region.

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
You style it whichever way gives you the most coverage, and looks the least like a hair transplant.

The guy which the OP saw in line had bad work obviously. He grows his hair long on top, because long hair has better coverage than short hair. That helps even when the hair transplant isn't bad though (the layover effect creates the impression of coverage). I'd guess that his hair went up (lofty) because the grafts are not pointing in a natural direction. The geometric pattern of grafts, and why you could tell it was a transplant, while standing in line... that sucks. He might even be a corrective patient, and that was the best they could do.

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
Most transplant doctors plant the grafts sticking straight up like spikes. Despite them saying they plant them so they face forward, they always come out sticking straight up like antennas.

A good hair transplant surgeon will ask how you normally wear your hair if you still have some left or how you want to comb your hair it so it can be placed at a more optimum angle, but since the hair transplant industry is all about making a buck and to hell with the patient, the straight up spike graft is what you normally see.

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
Go to a salon. Take photos of celebrities with your type of hair and face frame. You might need to take a few different ones. Ask his opinion.
Most importantly go to a male stylist that's older say in his mid thirties and up. He should be able to relate to thinning hair. Basically I'm in my stylist hands.

BaldingMan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new here. I'm looking to get a transplant very soon so this is a great read to find out about styling when I've had it done. I normally wear my hair messy spikey but since losing some on top I try to volumise it to make it look like there is more than there is. Once I've had my hair transplant I'd love to wear it with a side parting and and slightly brushed back, if that's possible a little like David beckhams is now.