How To Tell New Barber About My Transplant.

Klinertalk

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had transplant about 15 years ago and generally satisfied. But I move around a lot and i've never been fortunate enough to keep the same barber very long. Whenever I find a new barber, I always tell them about my surgery and the scar on the back of my scalp, and they usually are surprised, and almost always inexperienced in working on a guy with transplants. So I have to go thru the whole thing of asking them to trim the back, but be careful to not go too short, since the scar must remain hidden. Sometimes I get lucky but other times they seem nervous and don't understand. They leave it far too long for fear that the scar will show ( which I suppose is better than the alternative). This is especially true if I find a young kid at a chain like Supercuts. . Anyway, I am looking for advice on how to tell a barber about working around the scar. Do you guys tell them not to use anything shorter than a Number ___ guard on the clippers?
The bottom line is I would LOVE to find a barber where I can say I had hair replacements and he says "no problem. I have lots of clients like you". I never found one yet though. Anyone know of one. Los Angeles??

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Of course I have the same problem. I think it depends on the fact that FUT transplants are not as common as one would think. And now everyone is doing FUE...

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
I tell them don't go lower than a 3. I have a picture on my phone I'll show him. I go to a salon and he cuts way different than a barber. I pay double but it's worth it. I use a guy IMO he's more understanding about thinning hair.

My birthmark will show before the FUE pattern. Sometimes you get it cut to short and you can see the birthmark so I'm use to telling people about that. I had to use a barber 2 months ago and I think he went to a 1 or 2. extremely short so you could tell something was up from FUE pattern. I got asked and I told my friend it because of hair plugs i got, he laughed. I don't think he thought I was serous. the conversation ended.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got asked and I told my friend it because of hair plugs i got, he laughed. I don't think he thought I was serous. the conversation ended.

A good example of how most people outside of our norwood spotting circle don't even think about these things we're constantly obsessing over

But once you become a Norwood spotter there's no going back

diffuse_thinner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No one should do FUT now unless they have exhausted their FUE and need more hair desperately. It's ridiculous. Having said that an FUT scar (for those that had in the past or maybe now) can be hidden to an extent in various ways. Since I had FUE, I am still loving a high fade at the lowest level if I desire.
Is FUT even an option once you have exhausted your supply via FUE? I thought you would not be able to do a FUT as your donor would be too thin

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm surprised this is a problem.

Whatever hair you have it just seems unlikely that it's so different than other hairstyles your barber may have seen.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm surprised this is a problem.

Whatever hair you have it just seems unlikely that it's so different than other hairstyles your barber may have seen.

Yeah, I thought that as long as the FUT scar didn't massacre the back of your head you could go as low as a 3 guard over it with no worries....? I guess it's just difficult if you're looking to fade down to something lower, which is the trendy look at the moment

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
No one should do FUT now unless they have exhausted their FUE and need more hair desperately. It's ridiculous. Having said that an FUT scar (for those that had in the past or maybe now) can be hidden to an extent in various ways. Since I had FUE, I am still loving a high fade at the lowest level if I desire.
I agree. Unfortunately 12 years ago FUE was still in its budding phase in Europe and surgeons only did FUT. I was ten years too early even in this!

shookwun

Reaction score
It's rely not difficult. A real barber does not use clippers to do your entire head. Most will use a combination of clipper, scissor, and tooth comb-blading. This is what makes it paramount to choose a good barber, as he will be able to work with your scalp regardless of the obstacles.

I have a fut scar.

Iv'e been seeing the same barber for a couple years. Just go in, and tell him the usual. He gives me a proper low fade. Real tight, and short around the ears, neck and nape, then gradually a little longer near the scar. it works out perfectly. I get to have short sides, and near my scar it gradually gets a little longer. Still short, and hides it well :) All though, not everyone will have the luxury of a good scar out come.

I see my barber how he works around the scar. he tends to fade real close with the blade, but near the scar after a clipper, he pulls out the tooth comb, and gradually blades over it to get it to match flush with the fade, and existing hair up top.

Always tip your barber well.

PRO TIP: IF a barber doesn't know how to do fades, tape and ups.... HE"S TRASH or old school. A real barber can do wonders.

Always get a male to cut your hair.

This is what my barber does for me around my sides, and back. AKA the low fade

textured-low-fade.jpg

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Loving the ginger beard Shook!