How valid are reports of permanent shedding from Propecia?

azmodien

Reaction score
I am starting to get concerned about my shedding. I started Propecia less than 2 months ago with a full head of hair and mild thinning, and now my scalp is itchy and I have noticeably thinning hair caused by rapid shedding. I want to ride it out, but I am compelled to read the forums and can't help but see the posts about shedded hair not growing back even after a year of treatment. I want to have faith in the positive reports but then I get nauseous when I read statements like "Propecia ruined my hairline!" from people who seem to have my exact symptoms.

It seems the shedding is being caused by hormonal changes since I also am getting some mild acne. I know there is a correlation since I have never had acne in my life, not even during puberty. I hope that my hormones will level out in time, and that I didn't mess up my body chemistry by adjusting my dosage too many times. I don't think I have reflex hyperandrogenicity since my libido still isn't 100% and morning erections are non-existent.

Have any of these negative posters stuck with their regimen and later recanted their statements? Propecia can't possibly cause permanent hair loss, can it?

Thanks.

(note, I am 24 and currently on 0.75 mg of name brand Propecia. I have been tweaking the dosage to find a balance between baldness and impotence. I am going to try and stay on a consistent dose from this point on.)