Hrhshow's Story - (Advise about my Avodart/minoxidil Regiment?)

hrhshow

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm 44 and I've always had fine/thin hair. In fact, for over 10 years my friends have said to me that it looks like I'm at the beginning stages of male pattern baldness, at first I also thought that they might be correct, but now 10 years later, the top of my head still looks the same as it did then, no better but no worse either, so either I'm experiencing male pattern baldness extremely slow, or there is something else going on. Up until recently, I did nothing since it wasn't getting any worse.

About 6 months ago I started Androgel, (testosterone therapy) due to a slightly low test level. And about a month ago, I noticed my hair "felt" thinner all over. I didn't experience any noticeable hair falling out, nor did the top of my head look any different. I can't really explain it, other than to say that my hair feels thinner all over my head, not just in a specific place. I stopped the Androgel. (Although on their website it mentions nothing about hair loss, but isn't excess Testosterone converted into DHT)? To combat this and hopefully prevent any further "thinning" and also hopefully thicken up hair on my crown and/or prevent any further thinning/loss. I obtained a script for Avodart, once daily and then ordered Provillus (minoxidil 5%) which I'm using 2X day. I also bought Nizoril and use that 2-3 times a week. I just bought Tricomin Conditioning shampoo to use when not using Nizoril. I got "Super Hair Energizer" and I also bought a cosmetic product called "HAIR" from Revitalash, (who makes an eyelash growth product similar to Lattise)

I started the Provillus (minoxidil 5%) on 12/21/09 along with the Nizoril and I'm using the Super Hair Energizer spray after I used the Minoxidil. I started the Avodart 12/27/09. I looked at the "Norwood Chart" but from what I can observe, my hair doesn't seem to be as bad as even the pic showing the least amount of loss. Am I doing the right thing by taking action to prevent loss and thicken my hair ? Should I stop the Avodart and/or Minoxidil and only use the all natural products (super hair energizer) with vitamins and supplements to try and thicken my hair. Having stopped the Androgel, my hope is that my hair will get back to what it was before. But I am still concerned about the fact that the hair on top of my head is thinner than it is in other places even though it has been this way for well over 10 years without any change.

Please, any advise on what to do will be appreciated. Also, if any of you have a recommended regiment that you would recommend, or advise me to discontinue any particular product, I would sincerely appreciate it.
Chris

freakinout

Reaction score
I have a similar story and im suprised we are the first. Used androgel for low T at age 42. felt incredible. I was lifting 2-3 times a week prior and my body just exploded. Felt like I was 20. All the joint pains and long recovery after lifting just went away. Lost wt and my libido skyrocketed. Interesting thing libido cause you dont even know its missing. You are not impotent just dont have the same drive. Andogel brought back the drive and felt more intense.

The bad parts were I became very aggresssive. Had little tolerance for normal daily arguments and confrontations. I wasnt terrible but i felt a few whats up with him issues developed.

The worse part was that I noted my hair started to thin. I had been on propecia prior as well as using a laser comb about 3 times a week. Always had good hair was thinning a little and was doing it for prevention. Just what u said occured. My hair especially in the front started to thin. It didnt seem to fall out but it became very fine. This occured more in the frontal area but my entire head felt as if the hair became very fine. Even in the back where it was always realy full it became fine.

I am on propecia and I had recenly changed to cut up finestride (generic). I changed back to propcia and I am off androgel. Felt like crap and felt like I lost my youth again, but i still look decent and although I want that feeling again I am sure i am not willing to loose my hair.

I know its the androgel because like a banana that I am. In between the first and second time I tried it again at a lower dose and it accelerated the thinning.

I think what your doing is probably best. I really feel avodart would be better than propecia and I too am considerng taking the minoxidil out of the closet.

Its of course related to hihg levels of dht and intersting point i checked mine and it was low even after my t leves rose. I dont think its the dht number but rather an increase in ur base levels so dont think dht measure will help.

If anyone can help u or I the question would be.
1) does anyone an androgel use avodart effectively as a dht blocker to negate its effects on hair loss
2) Does anyone who has thinned on androgel notice recvovery from the fine hair ince stopped or on propecia or avodart