Huntinferhair's Story

hurtinferhair

Reaction score
Hi, nice to meet you all as I am now joining your cause with much to learn from! Please bear with me, hopefully I will get some good guidance and be on my way to enjoying a nice thick head of hair!

I am currently a 25 year old male. My dad is bald since as far as I know late 20's to early 30's. Mom's (male) side, mostly just thinning, but some are bald. Also I take Doxycycline 50mg twice a day to control my acne since 2004.

From what I have discerned, I think I started losing my hair shortly after I started my job (about 2 years ago). I noticed that my hair shed a lot while at work and even taking a shower or putting products in my hair. Like some of you, I was in a state of denial at first but now it’s undeniably thin.

I stumbled onto your website while researching about the laser comb and the horrors of HairClub for Men and discovered that people should start the "big 3" of minoxidel, finasteride (propecia/proscar), and nizoral. I started on minoxidil (generic Rite-Aid brand) (5%) for about 8 months and have not noticed improvements. This month I switched to Rogaine Foam (5%). I did notice that I started growing a lot of body hair even on my earlobes. No one in my family has much body hair, even on their legs and arms. Is there something wrong with my body's chemistry or is it just me (side effects of minoxidil.)? I want to laser it because I am so embarrassed to go swimming now.

Pics will be set up soon (cuz I'm not sure how to do that) and I need some opinions and advice as to what I should do and what side effects I should look out for. Should I go to a doctor (what kind of doctor?) first and what kind of questions should I ask?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: Hi I am new to this forum and I'd like to share my story

just do big 3, thats the only hope for all of us.

N

needlesting

hey dude just start with THE FAMOUS BIG 3 and hope for the best btw RaginDemon always helps the newbies around here :p

StrangeKarma

Established Member
Reaction score

You are definately thinning, it's more noticeable because you are asian as well. Check out my post I just updated, I'm not even on the BIG 3, just the BIG two, finasteride and minoxidil... for 6 months. Start now, and I bet you will see some great results! Good luck my friend.

hurtinferhair

Reaction score

Thank you for the replies everyone I really appreciate it! I have a question do the majority of you guys get your "finasteride" from doctor's prescription and if so do you guys get propecia or proscar. Or do you guys go online and purchase it? If so can you give me some recomendations on where to purchase them?

StrangeKarma

Established Member
Reaction score

I use proscar and cut it into 1/4s, take six times a week and one day off. I went to a hair transplant surgeon and he gave me the perscription. I live in Canada, and even use my provincial government healthcare plan to pay for it, costs me 14.50 Canadian for 100 days of the medication.

hurtinferhair

Reaction score

I see... wow you're lucky to live in Canada with a great health-care system, unfortunately, living in the states we have a shoddy system where medicine and wait times @ hospitals are ridiculous. But I digress, I'll look into proscar... I'm worried about the side effects though...

StrangeKarma

Established Member
Reaction score

The side effects were my biggest fear as well. However, after 6 months, I have not noticed any side effects, with the exception of a bit "watery" ejaculate, and for 4 months an increased libido, I think now after 6, it has fallen back to normal. Honestly, for me, the benefits are far too great to not give it a try. I was very against any kind of perscription pills back when I started finasteride in august, but my hairloss was so depressing I just said f*** it and went and tried it anyways, I'm glad I did. Well, if you live in the US, and have health insurance, you may be able to get it covered, check with your doctor dude.

hurtinferhair

Reaction score

Thank you for your posts... I also read the other posts you had put up recently, and honestly you calm me down a lot because before all this I was seriously going crazy. I'll look for a doctor first thing tomorrow and hopefully I won't have to worry so much....

What do you guys think I am at on the Norwood scale??

CCS

Reaction score

You need to change the tittle of your story to Huntinferhair's Story. So people can find you faster.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
u still got a lot of hair, do big 3 and you will kiss hair loss goodbye.

hurtinferhair

Reaction score
Thank you for the vote of confidence Ragindemon. By any chance does your name relate to the videogame street fighter? If so thats pretty cool!

I am really thankful for this forum, it is a very good place to express one's self freely and at the same time be surrounded by good people and good advice.

On another note, tomorrow I'll set up an appointment with a doctor and get a prescription for Proscar. I'm going to start as soon as possible and get on track to reclaiming my hair. I was wondering approx. how much do you guys pay for the prescription or is it covered by insurance?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
hurtinferhair said:
Thank you for the vote of confidence Ragindemon. By any chance does your name relate to the videogame street fighter? If so thats pretty cool!

I am really thankful for this forum, it is a very good place to express one's self freely and at the same time be surrounded by good people and good advice.

On another note, tomorrow I'll set up an appointment with a doctor and get a prescription for Proscar. I'm going to start as soon as possible and get on track to reclaiming my hair. I was wondering approx. how much do you guys pay for the prescription or is it covered by insurance?

yah its Akuma's final move...I love that move lol

hurtinferhair

Reaction score
Can someone help me? I got the finasteride pill and saw the post on how to cut proscar.... but i want directions on cutting the round finasteride pill into 1/5th because I am a afraid i might cut it unevenly. Any instructions would be fine I just need some guidance on this matter.

Also is everyone taking 1/5 of the 5mg finasteride pill or an equivalent of it once a day?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
hurtinferhair said:
Can someone help me? I got the finasteride pill and saw the post on how to cut proscar.... but i want directions on cutting the round finasteride pill into 1/5th because I am a afraid i might cut it unevenly. Any instructions would be fine I just need some guidance on this matter.

Also is everyone taking 1/5 of the 5mg finasteride pill or an equivalent of it once a day?

it doesnt really make any difference, as long as u finish the pill in 5 days, the outcome is pertty much the same.