I dont have red hair, so why did i lose one?

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
my hair is about medium brown, and i lost a hair in the shower yesterday that was RED. And it had something on the end of it, but it was so thin that it fell out of my fingers and i can't find it to bring it to the derm so he could look at it.

What the hell could this be? it certainly wasnt a piece of lint, im sure of that.

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
lol some people just worry too much

whys it matter if you did have a single red hair come out? I see the occasional red piece of stubble in in my brown facial hair, it means nothing other than the colour pigment is slightly different.

a derm wouldnt be able to tell you anything if you took in a single red hair that has come from your head. Unless someone wants to tell you otherwise...

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
im just worried that it means something bad about the scalp. This has nothign to do with worrying too much. As far as im concerned, this is a legitimate worry, and i appreciate answers like actionpack's who are trying to be helpful.
NO, my hairloss isnt severe, but im 20 years old and this is the worst time to have to be worrying about something like that. And im not entirely sure that its male pattern baldness, so im just asking questions about odd things.

Of course, i didnt need to defend anything, but there.

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
You're overeacting thats all...and yes, telling you you are overeacting is being helpful so don't stick it back in my face! I was being serious :)

If you start seeing lots of red hairs then maybe, MAYBE, you would want to go ask a Doctor if theres anything wrong with it. But if you have seen one red hair, have never seen one before, and never see one again, then there really is nothing to worry about.

If you get troubled this much by such a small thing, then you are gona be feeling worse when you start heading down the path to N7 as hairloss gets worse. You just need to see things in perspective

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
my only worry is that its a skin condition, and thats all.

And, why would something round and thicker than the hair be at the end of it? anyone heard of such a thing? It was also red, just as the hair was.

You dont find that a little odd?

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
Quite often wen hairs come out theres a small bit on the end, in my case its just dead skin cells stuck to the bottom of it where he leaves my scalp. I think some people call this a hair plug, its just part of the hair.

Although I don't know why it would be red...but like I said really don't worry about it. I bet you will never see it again...but if you do start seeing these red hairs reguarly then thats when you might want to investigate it further

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
pharoh, i really do appreciate the replies. Sorry if i came off a little hostile earlier.

I think it was due to the fact that i have soriasis on the side of my scalp. I just found that out today, seeing a derm. Im now wondering if alot of my hairloss is due to an unhealthy scalp, but im sure im not so lucky.
I just wish there was an easier way to tell.