I don't understand shedding!

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm new here!

About 2 months ago I started shedding massively (for the first time in my life): losing about 200+ a day on average (diffuse on the top and crown). I went from a high density of hair to barely hiding the hairloss anymore.
I pretty much tried everything (vitamines, shampoos, stermoydine) now and started finasteride 4 weeks ago, but the shed is still massive.

I just don't understand where it comes from or why i am shedding like this.

-Did DHT launch a massive attack on my follicles this summer?
-Can finasteride stop the shedding?
-Will the shedded hair grow back or are they definitely gone? As it's the first time this is happening

Thanks!

rerun

Established Member
Reaction score
Did anything significant happen 3 months before your hair started shedding? I mean, did you experience a crash diet, extreme sickness or surgery, or undergo a traumatic event?

jasperhobbs

Reaction score
Maxou, same thing happened to me and I am not sure of cause. Jasper

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did anything significant happen 3 months before your hair started shedding? I mean, did you experience a crash diet, extreme sickness or surgery, or undergo a traumatic event?

No nothing in particular happened this summer. Went on vacation (exposed to lots of sea salt) but nothing more)

Maxou, same thing happened to me and I am not sure of cause. Jasper

It seems like it happens to a lot of people! I would to know if male pattern baldness can appear so suddenly without any previous warning signs.
My story seems a lot like this guy btw (i also have scalp pains): http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/71578-scalp-pain

I have another question: if the dermatologist put me on finasteride without me having male pattern baldness could that screw me up and make more hair fall when it would have stopped?

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been steadily shedding for 2.5 months now - average 100+ hairs daily

I started finasteride 1mg/daily for 6 weeks ago now but shedding is still happening. I have strictly no sides from finasteride (perhaps increase in libido - shouldn't it be the opposite?) does that mean it's not correctly working?

TMNK

Established Member
Reaction score
Been steadily shedding for 2.5 months now - average 100+ hairs daily

I started finasteride 1mg/daily for 6 weeks ago now but shedding is still happening. I have strictly no sides from finasteride (perhaps increase in libido - shouldn't it be the opposite?) does that mean it's not correctly working?

My libido have never been better since I got on finasteride. It's so weird. Of course it's good, but a part of me still want a small side effect so I know it's working..

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Based on my personal experience, finasteride makes shedding even worse or at least prolong the shedding period. I lost a lot of hairline while I was on finasteride and pretty much all my temporal area can be seen.

german89

Established Member
Reaction score
loaing 100 plus hairs isn't shedding in my opinion. thats the average of losing hair. i'm losing 200-400 a day since 2009 and im on the big 3 since 2011. that is shedding :D

PhillyCarter

Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes the causes can be just a change in normal routine, especially if its sudden shedding. I know a lot of people that go on drastic diets or have a lot of stress experience this type of shedding. Have any of these things happened to you? If not it could be a scalp issue. Most patterned hair loss are from DHT blocking the hair from growing. That's what my case was although the shedding was not as drastic. I would recommend heading to your dermatologist and checking it out. If it is DHT find a good ketoconazole sulfate free shampoo.

DozyVan

Reaction score
Since the OP didn't mention any dandruff problem, I would think maxou's scalp and hair did sustain a lot of UV/salt damage during his summer holiday and the shedding/pain may be symptoms of recovery (God, I hope so).

maxou, how are things now?

Reaction score
If you see more hair on your pillow or hairbrush than the usual then maybe you could actually just be shedding more hair than others and that is normal.