I finally know WHY my scalp went to hell. Question.

wastingpenguins

Established Member
Reaction score
Alright.

minoxidil makes my scalp flake. I know this for sure. After all this time of frettting over my flaking scalp (mostly along the hairline. I tried battling it with Nizoral, T-Gel, and many other things...), I now know that it is minoxidil that has been causing it all along.

I finally decided to experiment a little-- since the flaking wasn't too bad anywhere but near the front, I decided to start applying minoxidil only to the vertex where the thinning is actually bad. Miraculously-- my hairline is not flaking like a snowstorm for the first time in months.

I've heard that minoxidil has a non-localized effect. Can it still help my hairline without directly applying it there?

I'm not sure, but I think that the flaking was probably causing some excessive shedding.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I VERY strongly suggest you switch to Dr Lee's minoxidil.

Odds are your reaction is not to the minoxidil, but to the PPG in Rogaine-style and/or over-the-counter formulations of Minoxidil. Many people are sensitive to PPG, and Dr Lee has a minoxidil formulation with less PPG in it. Lots of us here on this forum with irritiation problems have switched to it and found nirvana. It's worth a shot, before giving up on this very effective tool.

absmon

Established Member
Reaction score
The non-localised theory of minoxidil is only correct to a certain extent, so it is unlikely that you will have the effects up front by only applying it at the vertex.