I have a few questions I'm looking into about equol! :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere too, but I would really like to hear opinions, and just share this bit of info as it's gathered! *posts*

"When I get home I will start Googling, but I thought I should chuck them up here just because I'm sure they interest most of us

1) What is its half-life?

2) Can it permeate the skin?

3) If so, can it be taken sublingually?

4) If it is swallowed, exactly what happens to it as it passes through the digestive system?

5) If its half-life is reasonable, could it therefore be injected directly into the blood stream?

I have another thought or two but I'll look into them later I think!

Cheers guys, I find equol very exciting in general and just want to understand it in great detail! hehe

The Hoppipolla!"

Hoppi

Reaction score
Hmm, it seems to be that equol is perfectly fine just to swallow, it finds it's way into the blood stream just fine according to every study I can find.

I didn't realize that the problem was that previously there were no safe, affordable equol supplements.

I assume that all we need is a (preferably natural) S-Equol supplement, like they have on here: http://www.naturalequol.com

I believe that can simply be taken as normal. I have no idea how much it is. They just use a special bacterial strain to ferment daidzein into equol. Obviously I mean I knew that could be done, but I didn't know that equol could be taken orally.

Oh, the S-Equol thing is apparently that there is another type called R-equol, but I don't think it is as effective by some way.

I really want to get hold of a good quality s-equol supplement from a reliable source like Pharmavite so I can use it as well as my Densiti regimen. In one study (unrelated to Pharmavite), they used up to 320mg of s-equol daily (but it was given to menopausal women, not men with male pattern baldness!).

Hmm.

I tried e-mailling them, and no response just yet.

Any thoughts anyone on this or any other source?

Hoppi

Reaction score
why hasn't someone used it then? Or have they?

Jacob

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a product out there yet. If there is one out there..I'm sure some will jump on it.

Christoph10

Reaction score
I Hoppi. The name is Chris and I have been researching and looking for an eqoul product for like the last three years and finally came across a topical skin product that has equol in it !! Its called nu skin future formula . its for wrinkles but has equol i the formula. The only question I really have about it . is weather or not it will get to the bulb of the follicle through the skin.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Ah I see.. do you think it will be effective enough though?

I haven't had any results from Densiti yet (although I believe I have had some from abstaining O.O) but I'll give it longer :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
Thing is I may have seen it, but personally I can't fathom how topical equol would work as well. Maybe there's something I am missing.

Coolstorybro

Reaction score
You could put the Topical Equol stuff on your head, so it obsorbs.

How come topical stuff seems to not work as well, compared to Oral pills?

Jacob

Reaction score
Coolstorybro said:
You could put the Topical Equol stuff on your head, so it obsorbs.

How come topical stuff seems to not work as well, compared to Oral pills?

I disagree completely. "Oral pills" seem to be more for maintenance..ppl look into topicals more when it comes to that + regrowth. Then there's the issue of side effects..etc.

cuebald

Reaction score
As far as I can see, Equol seems to work by inhibiting, or lowering DHT, and slightly increasing Oestrogen levels.
A weaker finasteride, then.

So how would this not have sides?

Coolstorybro

Reaction score
cuebald said:
As far as I can see, Equol seems to work by inhibiting, or lowering DHT, and slightly increasing Oestrogen levels.
A weaker finasteride, then.

So how would this not have sides?

wronge, Equol doesn't lower DHT, it attaches (binds) to DHT, so it stops it getting to the Hair follicles. Its not a weaker finasteride, its the Ultimate (Magic) alternative thing to finasteride.

cuebald

Reaction score
Interesting.
I read that about 30% of people (doesn't say what race or gender, I assume all) cannot synthesize this "equol" (4',7-isoflavandiol) in the intestine.

Is this saying that 30% of men may have less DHT, higher Oestrogen levels because of this "hormone modifier"? Is this why about ~30% of men don't suffer from male pattern baldness? Could this be the cause of some of the more, er, "feminine" men who don't seem to suffer from acne or male pattern baldness?

I can't see hardly any mainstream study of "Equol" - every search I make seems to direct me straight to Hair Loss blogs. Is it known by any other name? Why has there been so little research into this compound?

Coolstorybro

Reaction score
cuebald said:
Why has there been so little research into this compound?

I think part of the reason why, is because if they manage to make this into a supplement, (because Equol is legit) say goodbye to all the other businesses, put all the other hairloss businesses out of business.

You would just have to pop in a S Equol Supplement pill, and your good to go! Would be much better than finasteride, and minus the side effects!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Coolstorybro said:
You would just have to pop in a S Equol Supplement pill, and your good to go! Would be much better than finasteride, and minus the side effects!

You apparently don't think that finasteride side effects are a result of a lack of DHT. You may or may not be right about that, but it's awfully speculative.

Hoppi

Reaction score
cuebald said:
Interesting.
I read that about 30% of people (doesn't say what race or gender, I assume all) cannot synthesize this "equol" (4',7-isoflavandiol) in the intestine.

Is this saying that 30% of men may have less DHT, higher Oestrogen levels because of this "hormone modifier"? Is this why about ~30% of men don't suffer from male pattern baldness? Could this be the cause of some of the more, er, "feminine" men who don't seem to suffer from acne or male pattern baldness?

I can't see hardly any mainstream study of "Equol" - every search I make seems to direct me straight to Hair Loss blogs. Is it known by any other name? Why has there been so little research into this compound?

Thanks for being open-minded about this man :)

It is true that the reason (s-)equol is so powerful and important is that instead of inhibiting 5-alpha reductase it merely binds to the DHT and makes it inactive. This is why it does not have anywhere near the same side effects, because you are ruling out all the complications from inhibiting the 5ar type 2 enzyme. I do agree that an S-Equol supplement is potentially a miracle waiting to happen, but for now the best bet is Densiti :)

I am not sure what the reason is why an s-equol supplement has not been released. I am not sure what temperatures it has to be at to be stable, etc, as when I try to buy pure equol online it seems to need refrigeration. I will be looking into this more, but for now simply using my Densiti :)