I need help Getting Over Public Speaking Anxiety

Nex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so a little bit about me. I am 22 years old and I have to give a lot of presentations in school (studying business). The first day of class when it is announced that we will have to give a presentation at the end of the semester I usually think about it every day. I guess I have a form of social anxiety. I think it has gotten worse over the years because I am losing my hair and my confidence is being drained. I am sure many guys have faced this problem before, about getting anxious before presentations etc. What is the best way to conquer this fear? Do I just have to just get out and get as much experience as possible and face my fears head on? Should I see a therapist? Are there any drugs I can take that will ease my anxiety?

The thing is when it is actually time to present I usually end up doing pretty good, but I still get nervous as hell before. I want to put an end to this anxiety, it feels like I cant enjoy life sometimes because I get myself so worked up. Anyways any advice would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance :).

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
My first 2-3 presentations were nothing short of catastrophic. When I was at uni I gave couple presentations, the first presentation earned me 4/10 and the second 6/10. I didn't think my presentations were that bad, but with the worst marks of the whole class, they must have been bad for the audience.

My last presentation was a business presentation and won us $2000 :whistle:

The key to a good presentation is preparation and confidence. If one is competent on the subject, there is absolutely nothing to be scared of.

My job requires me to do lots of public speaking, and I've realised that as long as I know what I'm talking about I can always give the audience some BS on the subject and they will buy it because I'm the only expert on the subject.

Nex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Virtuality, the problem that I have is even if I am very prepared and confident I still just get extremely nervous. For example, I have to give a presentation in about three months and I am already quite nervous about it (which I dont think is normal...). I am guessing that most people just get over their fear by practicing, and this sounds like what you have done. I guess I will try to find ways of practicing my public speaking and try to build my confidence. Thanks for the reply.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
That's it really... You have to know what you are talking about, and the rest just comes out naturally..