I need to know the truth about Nizoral

HairlessinToronto

Reaction score
What's the deal with Nizoral? I've read that it's used from anywhere to washing out topical solutions to stopping hair loss. Can it stop hair loss? If this is true then shouldn't I be using it every day? Has anyone have any positive or even negative results with this product? I read in this forum that some guy even uses it everyday and leaves it in his hair for 20 minutes at a time. Some information on this product will be appreciated. Thanks.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The only thing about nizoral is that its intended for temp use only. using it everyday may cause some damage to your body if it is absorbed into the blood stream. I beleive there was a study on the effects of nizoral on the body with contiunous use and it showed signs of liver damage and other stuff that I can not remember.

However nizoral has shown to greatly reduce imflammation which helps in the aid of fighting male pattern baldness. IMO if there is inflammation of the scalp, your follicals are being raped by your immune system.

Inflammation:
"A response of body tissues to injuryor irritation; characterized by pain and swelling and redness and heat"

I recomend buying at least one bottle of 1% nizoral at your local store. For some it works great, for others it causes slight irritation. Found out what works best for you and go from there. good luck

G

It's a shampoo - a dandruff shampoo.

It wasn't designed to combat hairloss, but many people see it to compliment the usage of Finasteride and minoxidil.

The active ingredient is ketaconazole, with a few people thinking it helps (in a minor way) with the fight against DHT.

To me it's a dandruff shampoo. Nothing special. Costs about £8 and lasts about 6/7 months if you use only a small amount every 3rd day.

G

HairlessinToronto said:
What's the deal with Nizoral? I've read that it's used from anywhere to washing out topical solutions to stopping hair loss. Can it stop hair loss?

The active ingredient in Nizoral (Ketoconazole) a mild anti-androgen.

Its anti-androgen effects are said to influence hair growth similarly to Minxoidil 2%

This action is enhanced by combining Nizoral with a Salicylic shampoo like T/Sal (that's T/Gel with salicylic acid in the UK)

Quote from Dr Lee website: Ketoconazole has been proven to decrease the quantities of DHT in the scalp by helping to inhibit its synthesis from sterols.  Salicylic acid has a keratolytic and a slight antiseptic action when applied topically to the skin.  By removing some of the dead epidermal layers of the stratum corneum, there is an enhanced action by the ketoconazole in suppressing the production of DHT in the scalp.

HairlessinToronto said:
If this is true then shouldn't I be using it every day?

As Matgallis pointed out there may be systemic absorbtion issues with excesive continuous use, fortunately Ketoconazole stays in the scalp for a while after its use (2 days or so, I believe) so there is no need to use it daily.

HairlessinToronto said:
Has anyone have any positive or even negative results with this product?

The trials say 'yes', for me using Minoxidil, Finasteride, TGel and Nizoral it is difficult to say which medication is having an effect.

HairlessinToronto said:
I read in this forum that some guy even uses it everyday and leaves it in his hair for 20 minutes at a time. Some information on this product will be appreciated. Thanks.

I leave it in for around 10-15 minutes 3-4 times a week.

good luck

AKA

Established Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
Quote from Dr Lee website: Ketoconazole has been proven to decrease the quantities of DHT in the scalp by helping to inhibit its synthesis from sterols.  Salicylic acid has a keratolytic and a slight antiseptic action when applied topically to the skin.  By removing some of the dead epidermal layers of the stratum corneum, there is an enhanced action by the ketoconazole in suppressing the production of DHT in the scalp.

Whoop whoop! Essential hairloss product alert!

Cool quote Tynan, I've missed out on this nugget of information.

I'm gonna go out and get me some T-Sal, pronto (feels like the early days again).

(to the melody of Like A Virgin)
Like a newbie,
Bald for the very first time!
See your No-o-oo-wood,
Shine like a beacon,
Next to mine!

G

AKA said:
Whoop whoop! Essential hairloss product alert!

Cool quote Tynan, I've missed out on this nugget of information.

I'm gonna go out and get me some T-Sal, pronto (feels like the early days again).

be warned AKA my united Kingdom comrade, T/Sal no longer exists in UK shops, it is now called T/Gel (with salicylic acid).

and remember to use 1.25 times the amount they reccomend on the bottle :p

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
remember to use 1.25 times the amount they reccomend on the bottle :p

LOL!

AKA

Established Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
T/Sal no longer exists in UK shops, it is now called T/Gel (with salicylic acid).

I picked some up today - but it's actually labelled T-Gel Anti-Dandruff For Normal to Oily Hair

Just trying to avoid any confusion - it had me in a Gunner-like state of meltdown for a split second

:ideias:

G

AKA said:
tynanW said:
T/Sal no longer exists in UK shops, it is now called T/Gel (with salicylic acid).

I picked some up today - but it's actually labelled T-Gel Anti-Dandruff For Normal to Oily Hair

Just trying to avoid any confusion - it had me in a Gunner-like state of meltdown for a split second

does it say it contains salicylic acid anywhere on the bottle?

AKA

Established Member
Reaction score
Shhhh Bismarck!

If Intelligence get on to this we'll have coalition troops crawling all over HairLossTalk.com trying to flush me out...

:2gunsfiring_v1:

Bismarck

Reaction score
AKA said:
Shhhh Bismarck!

If Intelligence get on to this we'll have coalition troops crawling all over HairLossTalk.com trying to flush me out...

:2gunsfiring_v1:

oops, I forgot, sorry...

Meinhof .... eerrr .... Bismarck ;)

AKA

Established Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
AKA said:
tynanW said:

does it say it contains salicylic acid anywhere on the bottle?

Salicylic Acid is listed in the ingredients, the meltdown wasn't that severe.

RogerS

Reaction score
I've been using it for about 3 years & ahve never had any problems with it. I try to use it 3 times a week & in between use Tricomin & Nisim shampoo..

Roger

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here's another nizoral tip.

Nizoral can dry you hair so what some of us like to do is add 2-3 drops of emu oil (and/or aloe vera gel) to the nizoral in the palm of your hand. This conditions your hair and is great for general scalp health.

G

Red Rose said:
Here's another nizoral tip.

Nizoral can dry you hair so what some of us like to do is add 2-3 drops of emu oil (and/or aloe vera gel) to the nizoral in the palm of your hand. This conditions your hair and is great for general scalp health.

would this effect Nizorals efficacy or ability to enter the scalp ?

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Tynan good question!

In terms of absorbtion I think with just 2-3 drops the de minimus principle probably applies.

I can't imagine that there would be any chemical reaction between ketoconazole and an oil to affect its efficacy.

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've noticed the editor of morphollica.com also uses emu oil with nizoral:

A small trick with Nizoral and emu oil:

Nizoral apparantly leaves the scalp rather dry for some users. I rarely experienced this, but since I don't use any conditioners I needed something that would give me the effect of a conditioner with Nizoral. I tried the following: I mixed about .2ml of Nizoral with about 4-5 small drops of emu oil in the palm of my hand. The Nizoral went from a clear pink to an opaque pink. I then washed with this combination. I highly recommend this to anyone who is considering using Nizoral shampoo. The tiny bit of emu oil in the shampoo had not only conditioned my hair, but it gave it very noticeable extra volume. It also left my scalp feeling really nice. If you suffer from scalp itch, try this out. I have posted this trick on a number of forums and the feedback that I received from others who tried it was very positive.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
where do you get emu oil??