I THINK HAIRGEL WAS THE REASON FOR MY male pattern baldness

eduardmc

Established Member
Reaction score
not true, but i know it was in my genes and stuff but i have to say, that i do remember when one day i started to pull my hair really hard and my hair started to come out in groups of 20-50 hairs. before my hairloss started i always used to pull my hair, maybe one would come out but that day i was working and was bored and i started to pull it and it was coming out, i know i was pulling hard, just like before, but this time it wasn't one, it was about 50.

WHY DID I MENTION HAIRGEL. cause i remember a month before the event , i started to use this black cheap hairgel ($3 for a half foot bottle) and i used to leave it all day, i remember since my hair was so nice, before going to sleep i used to style my hair with the hairgel and then go to sleep. the hair gel was so bad, that i was having dark flakes coming out of my head. after i checked the hair that i was loosing, it was coming out with the dark flake also, from there i stop using that hairgel but my hair loss didn't stop. now after 3 years i'm fighting it. but

do any of u think, (after reading my story) that some how that cheapass hairgel could have accelatate my hairloss. i really think it was. and also i think that the hairgel somehow affected my scalp. i also know that is not clinically proven that hairgel, could do something like that, but that doesn't mean that i'm wrong.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have a similar story. Not cheap gel but I ran out of shampoo and was using body wash as a sub for almost 2 frecking weeks. (i was young btw so i wasn't really in a hurry to "buy" shampoo.)

But i remember sitting in class running my hands through my hair (always do this during a test, helps me think :)) And like 5 hairs fell each time...

It freaked me out, and it's all been shitty since.

G

yeah me too, I used to rub kerosene into my hair and set it on fire, after I would find burnt hair everywhere and I swear my scalp has never been no good since neither.

ye ha

Ty

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
That's ridiculous. Look at all the old men with full, pomaded and gooped heads of hair.

AKA, it's a MYTH.

eduardmc

Established Member
Reaction score
is might be a myth or not, but i know that before that point i was not loosing hair and bammmm all of the sudden after that i was pulling a ton of hair out of my scalp. i don't care if they have tested it and have found nothing (imagination theory), i'm speaking from personal experience, it seem like other have had similar experience. i'm the only one who knows how it was before and after. remember, that before minoxidil was FDA approve, people were getting body hair grow, and some of them swear it was the minoxidil, but i could see all the people looking at them like if they were crazy or something.

Axon

Reaction score
If hair gel is causing you to lose hair, stopping usage of the hair gel should stop your hair loss.

Wezz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
its not about the hairgel...

i know a guy who uses a f*cking glue on his hair to keep his thicky hairs spiked up, and he has a hair like goku... :roll: if you have male pattern baldness it will affect even if u never used a hairgel in your life :roll:

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
Exactly, I have two friends with the thickest hair in the world (God I hate them :lol: )

One does his hair up like Tekken with giant, razor like spikes, shaped to curve up just like the character. He has the most solid head of hair you've ever seen.

My other friend does his hair up like Spike from ..damn, I forget the anime.. I think Ghost in the Shell? No. Anyway, also the most solid hair you've ever seen and he's 26 now, been doing it like this forever.

If hair gel in general caused male pattern baldness, we ALL would have known about it a long time ago. Society as a whole would have stopped using styling products decades ago because...

We'd all be bald.

Think about it.

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Teetering on the edge said:
My other friend does his hair up like Spike from ..damn, I forget the anime.. I think Ghost in the Shell? No. Anyway, also the most solid hair you've ever seen and he's 26 now, been doing it like this forever.

Wow....I actually know who you're talking about
Spike from Cowboy Bebop.

Not an anime otaku, I swear... :hairy:

yello911

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is my story: I used to get up in the morning, shower, and the instant I got out, I would slap hair gel, mousse, hairspray etc. to give it a nice (albeit petrified) wet look. Throughout the day I would spray more hairspray on. When my scalp itched, I would try to sneak a finger through the helmet head and slightly scratch it. A week after my 20th birthday I was in the shower and as I took my hands away from my head, I notice hundreds of hairs in my hand. This continued for a couple of years but the first was the worst. I stopped using gel, mousse, spray, and tried to take better care of myself. Nothing worked and at this time the only available product was Rogaine 2% by prescription. Finally I am able to take the big 3. Quite a bit of my hair has grown back and people don't even comment about thinning hair with me. It still is quite thin when it's wet.

I do believe that gel could have exaserbated the problem but not caused it. One thing I believe is that because I never brushed my hair in years and barely touched my scalp, blood was not getting stimulated to the follicles. One thing I do now is brush my hair often. Yes, at first, tons of hair came out but face it, if it's going to come out by simply brushing it, it was going to fall out very, very soon anyhow. My hair feels nicer and I can feel the pulse beating in my scalp after a good brush. Now, barely any hairs come out in the shower and my brush, pillow, and sink stay relatively hair free. Genetics are eventually going to win over my hair but I am a true believer that you can retain it much longer and maybe even grow a few back temporarily with proper care.

[/img]

eduardmc

Established Member
Reaction score
i never mention that hairgel was the cause of my hairloss, i can't believe people are starting to say things that i did not say. I SAID THAT HAIRGEL SOMEHOW ACCELATOR THE PROCESS. like i mention before. i knew that in the future hairloss was gonna happen to me, but HAIRGEL MADE IT HAPPEN SOONER THAN WHEN IT WAS TO SCHEDULE TO HAPPEN. AGAIN I DID NOT SAY HAIRGEL WAS THE REASON FOR MY HAIRLOSS. BUT LIKE IN EVERY POST, U SAY SOMETHING AND SOMEONE ELSE START SAYING SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAN WHAT U JUST SAID.

JUST READ ON, AT MY FIRST POST I SAID, -----NOT TRUE, I KNOW IT WAS IN MY GENES------

Axon

Reaction score
eduardmc said:
i never mention that hairgel was the cause of my hairloss, i can't believe people are starting to say things that i did not say. I SAID THAT HAIRGEL SOMEHOW ACCELATOR THE PROCESS. like i mention before. i knew that in the future hairloss was gonna happen to me, but HAIRGEL MADE IT HAPPEN SOONER THAN WHEN IT WAS TO SCHEDULE TO HAPPEN. AGAIN I DID NOT SAY HAIRGEL WAS THE REASON FOR MY HAIRLOSS. BUT LIKE IN EVERY POST, U SAY SOMETHING AND SOMEONE ELSE START SAYING SOMETHING DIFFERENT THAN WHAT U JUST SAID.

JUST READ ON, AT MY FIRST POST I SAID, -----NOT TRUE, I KNOW IT WAS IN MY GENES------

OKAY BUT IN THAT CASE THEN I DONT THINK HAIR GEL CAN ACCELERATE LOSS, KEEP IN MIND THAT male pattern baldness IS A PROCESS OF MINITURIZATION AND IS PRIMARIALY A CAUSE OF INTERNAL BODILY FUNCTIONS AND NOT EXTERNAL TREATMENT OF THE HAIR. ALSO REALIZE THAT HAIR IS DEAD CELLS ANYWAY, SO REALIZE THAT THE ROOT IS THE ISSUE (IT IS UNLIKELY YOU'RE GETTING GEL INTO THE FOLLICLE'S ROOT).

BUT YOU SEEM LIKE YOU’RE GOING TO BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT TO BELIEVE

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
If the cause of your hair loss is male pattern baldness, gel cannot accelerate it. If gel had any effect, it wouldn't have been limited to male pattern baldness-prone areas, such as the crown and temples.

avri

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, exactly.

If is does not cause it, how can it accellerate it? That is totally illogical.

It either affects it or it doesn't.

And he's right, it would cause balding in every area it contacts.

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

... but I agree that daily use of get doesn't promote a healthy scalp, which is essential for any regrowth. Many gels clog the pores. It neither causes nor accelerates male pattern baldness, but it may render the treatment less effective if your scalp is in bad shape.

avri

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
Good point there, I do feel that it can clog stuff up, though, limitiing topical treatments.

I just figured it was a no brainer for guys here to use a clarifying shampoo to remove residue and wait 20 mins after applying topicals before adding gel.

Hpower

Established Member
Reaction score
Same here, I use to be very careless about using cheap hair products and washing it out properly, and conditioning my hair daily.

Having a healthy scalp is just as important as reducing dht.

scud666

Established Member
Reaction score
i agree with the original poster and might even take the step to say it caused my hairloss. i was mega stupid to want smooth silky hair. i go out in the sun alot and that makes my hair frizzy. i use conditioner and it doesn't do much. so the smart arse me thinks... why not just leave on a little conditioner all the way? u know... wash it off but still leave a little residue on. i did this for two days and my scalp itched like a biatch. i had zero hairloss before but right after that day i literally could feel my hair being soft. i first thought, bingo.. smooth silky hair thats mangaeable. but that thinning hasn't stopped till this day after 1.5 years. i can almost gurantee if i never di that stupid move, i would still have that hair i used to have ever since i was in high school. i'm 24 now btw.

SLD

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me... started using too much gel and didnt wash it off at night, after more or less a month hair loss started