I think I could have androgenetic alopecia

Reaction score
I think I could have androgenetic alopecia, Whats your opinion?

Hello everybody :)I think I could have androgenetic alopecia, I am 25 years old and 5 years ago my forehead was not as exposed as now, I always hadhairline,as a child,but I always could hide combing my bangs, however now is more difficult...

I've always had the line of hairline V-shaped, but now it is becoming more evident. Now I do not have much hair growth as before, and it is difficult to hide.
These are the reasons why I think I suffer alopecia.
In my family we do not know men and women bald, but I think this data is insufficient.
I start thinking about using saw palmetto, at the moment I'm not sure to use finasteride. I also must go to the dermatologist.
What is your opinion? Thanks, and sorry for my poor English.

54W0bk3.png

...and 5 years later:

Egrahd3.jpg

FWKjBCq.jpg

VyYtqda.jpg

w55qlj0.jpg

shookwun

Reaction score
It's just hair brah

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend minoxidil if you're not 100% sure you have male pattern baldness as when you begin you have to stick with it forever.
If you want to be sure, you can consult a dermatologist able to perform a trichogram. He/she will see if your follicles are miniaturised or not.

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I should have said "you have to stick with it forever if you want to keep what you gained" ^^

Reaction score
It's really not that bad, it's a Norwood one, if that.

Generally speaking, chin -> nostril = (nose top) -> forehead.

The hairline should be at that point, and if it is, it's probably not baldness.

If minoxidil is cheap where you live, and available without a prescription, then I would recommend it.

Five percent works for forty five percent of men.

Of course, Finasteride is another option, which is more effective.

But honestly, I can't tell if it is hair loss or not. The temple hair doesn't go that far back. And you said yourself that the hairline
was higher (mine was too, since my teenage years).

I see, thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

I would not recommend minoxidil if you're not 100% sure you have male pattern baldness as when you begin you have to stick with it forever.
If you want to be sure, you can consult a dermatologist able to perform a trichogram. He/she will see if your follicles are miniaturised or not.

I am sorry, but... male pattern baldness...? i searched in google but i dont understand

another question, you have to take finasteride forever? It is the same effect as minoxidil?

Thank you guys

RD03

Reaction score
I can't diagnose you from these very pictures but I am almost certain when I say you're experiencing Male Pattern Baldness(male pattern baldness). My reason for this is that your hairline is receding inwards and your hair looks miniaturized in the front. These are classic male pattern baldness signs.

If I were you I would do the following:

1. Book an appointment with a Dermatologist or a Hair transplant doctor and have them take a look at your hair.
2. Read up on the treatments that we have
Finasteride = a hormone you'll have to take to keep your hair
Dutasteride = same as finasteride but only stronger
Minoxidil = liquid you put on your head for regrowth

Rest of the treatments are basically bogus with weak studies and mostly anecdotal evidence.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Why the **** would you recommend Minoxidil to someone who yourself just stated was a Norwood One? I swear half this forum are mentally retarded.

RD03

Reaction score
Why the **** would you recommend Minoxidil to someone who yourself just stated was a Norwood One? I swear half this forum are mentally retarded.

I tried Minoxidil for 2 years, frontal and I was in the lower Norwood brackets it didn't do ****.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
He is Norwood One like you said, he HAS little to no hair loss so has barely anything to gain back unless he wants his Juvenile hairline which Minoxidil likely wouldn't give him anyway so that's your argument blown out the window. You should have recommended Finasteride so he can MAINTAIN his NORWOOD ONE.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
A Board Certified Dermatologist prescribed me two percent in 1990.

At twenty I grew back my Norwood 1 to Norwood 0.

In the US, Board Certified is given to doctor's in the top of their field.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I said this before to you, I believe you when you state Minoxidil didn't make any difference (for fifty five percent of men, it won't).

Finasteride is better, that's true. But at his young age (relative to myself), five percent Minoxidil could probably do the trick.

LOL he is 25 years old, if that is "too young" to take finasteride in your eyes then everything you say loses validity. And besides what is the point in going from Norwood 1 to Norwood 0 only to then start receding, it's like 1 big leap forward followed by gradual little steps back over the next few years.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Pavi also made a thread thinking about starting 0.5mg of finasteride, because he is a smart guy who knows what he needs to do if he wants to keep his hair gains for longer than a few years.

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
nahlodesiempre ,

Sorry, male pattern baldness stands for Male Pattern Baldness.

Well basically (until we have new solutions to treat Androgenetic Alopecia, that means retaining the damn DHT, prostaglandins and inflammation from raping our precious follicles to death) you have to treat the hormonal cause of your hair loss forever.
So yes, you will have to use your anti-androgen (in most cases Finasteride) forever. If you don't handle it, it's ok, there are other options but most people have no side effects.

Minoxidil works per se. But you have to know it's not "real" regrowth as all your minoxidil-induced baby hair will go as soon as you stop.
Your hair honestly looks fine and in your case I think the risk you would take by using minoxidil is greater than the benefits you could get from it.

A much safer bet would be cold pressed Castor Oil, orally and topically, to kick start your (hypothetical) regrowth. As it's very sticky you may want to use an alcoholic lotion to help it get into your scalp.

Good luck !

PS > Does your scalp feels more itchy, irritated, painful than before ?

Reaction score
nahlodesiempre ,

Sorry, male pattern baldness stands for Male Pattern Baldness.

Well basically (until we have new solutions to treat Androgenetic Alopecia, that means retaining the damn DHT, prostaglandins and inflammation from raping our precious follicles to death) you have to treat the hormonal cause of your hair loss forever.
So yes, you will have to use your anti-androgen (in most cases Finasteride) forever. If you don't handle it, it's ok, there are other options but most people have no side effects.

Minoxidil works per se. But you have to know it's not "real" regrowth as all your minoxidil-induced baby hair will go as soon as you stop.
Your hair honestly looks fine and in your case I think the risk you would take by using minoxidil is greater than the benefits you could get from it.

A much safer bet would be cold pressed Castor Oil, orally and topically, to kick start your (hypothetical) regrowth. As it's very sticky you may want to use an alcoholic lotion to help it get into your scalp.

Good luck !

PS > Does your scalp feels more itchy, irritated, painful than before ?

Thank you parisienne.

Oh i have never felt something like that, never.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like a nw1 to me. Closer to 2.5/3.

OP can you give one similar to this one below but straight on so we can see the full hairline with the hair pulled back.

dpC9n2o.jpg

g.i joey

Reaction score
OP get on finasteride now and save yourself the misery of staring at your hairline every ****en day. believe me bro, you're at a great stage to act as if hairloss never effected you. try finasteride and if you cant deal with it, well then at that point look for alternatives.

Reaction score
Doesn't look like a nw1 to me. Closer to 2.5/3.

OP can you give one similar to this one below but straight on so we can see the full hairline with the hair pulled back.

dpC9n2o.jpg

No problem, i will try.

If I comb my bangs back, it looks like this:

YfG1wqf.jpg

mx8h7VO.jpg

0yO2h7s.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The shape can be the same for both (just at 2 it's more than 1.5 centimeters).

There are men your age and race who had success in the Success stories. Save your hair while you still can. You don't want your hair to look like mine, believe me.
Thank i will try!

- - - Updated - - -

OP get on finasteride now and save yourself the misery of staring at your hairline every ****en day. believe me bro, you're at a great stage to act as if hairloss never effected you. try finasteride and if you cant deal with it, well then at that point look for alternatives.
I see the problem, I think it has to prescribe a dermatologist, right? I think you can not buywithout a prescription. So i have to go, thanks for your information bro