IamAlone's Story - (....please read)

IamAlone

Reaction score
hi guys, Ive been visiting this site for awhile now and finally bought myself to create an introduction. First off I wanna say how awesome it is to have this forum where we can share our personal (and very sensitive) feelings about losing hair...

ok, so i was noticing thinning over the last 1-2 years but lived on about it and said i'm not balding i'm just thinning...never really phased me. I was engaged and buying a new home so my concentration was geared towards that. I've been married a few months now and started noticing my hair was getting worse ...I did all the online "googling" and decided to get myself on finasteride and rogaine foam, it was time to make some moves. I got some blood work done and the Doctor said everything looked in order, I was starting male pattern baldness and should start rogaine and finasteride.
I started both regimens in the beginning of May...and thats when the crazy depression hit me. I was obsessed. I looked in the mirror every chance I got, I combed it and stared after every shower. I complained to my wife and thats all that came out of my mouth. For the past month shes done nothing but console me... my libido was non existent and i've been completely anti social and paranoid
Anyways, i started getting alot of anxiety, severe depression, heat flashes (sweating in the most common places) and diarrhea... I googled more and realized the finasteride was most likely the cause. I since stopped the finasterid and it's all gotten better. BUT the finasteride causing alot of thinning where it was fine before and the rogaine caused a mass shed in my front middle where It looks like i have a bald spot now. Imma ride it out but honestly I just need to say this is rough. Im ruining my marriage, my confidence at work and everything, I hope this is just a "shed" and the rogaine works. Will update soon

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey don't be so sad...to be honest if I was married and own my home I wouldn't be so depressed....if my wife will like me in that way...It wouldn't be a big issue...I will love her and for her i will live...regarding finasteride sides...it could be in your mind...you are depressed and that's why you have all of those symptoms...this is my opinion...

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey. Those mental stuff you were describing. I think the anxiety etc stems from your hair loss. I am doing pretty much the same thing as you. Nothing brings me more peace of mind than starting treatment on finasteride.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
vanzzz you're talking like this will definitely work...it really works for a few person...let's say 10% to regrow back your hair...look at the success story there are just a few guys that have regrow their hair...and then after a good success they will finally lose it again...this is the hardest part of the crap...

sergiotahini

Established Member
Reaction score
Keep up with the rogaine if you can't do finasteride. Maybe try topical finasteride or spironolactone to bring dht levels down some. In the mean time I think you realize that you need to pull yourself together for the sake of your marriage and livelihood; I have a friend whose marriage was nearly ruined because of a protracted period of depression. If the hair loss is affecting you this badly you may want to consider seeing a psychiatrist; if anything your wife would probably appreciate knowing that you're actually trying to do something about your mood/behavior and not just moping around.

good luck.

IamAlone

Reaction score
Yea Im going to start nizoral and prolly today and see how it goes with starting finasteride again. im thinking it was more of a mindf*ck then symptoms.
and yea, I know about the wife thing. I know I'm being depressed and need to snap out of it but sometimes I just can't help it u know? time to suck it up, wait for the results of this treatment and go back to the happy times

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
vanzzz you're talking like this will definitely work...it really works for a few person...let's say 10% to regrow back your hair...look at the success story there are just a few guys that have regrow their hair...and then after a good success they will finally lose it again...this is the hardest part of the crap...

I feel maintaining what I have currently is success enough. even delaying for another 7 years is very good for me. And from the studies maintenance for at least 5 years is extremely common as well, about 90% i think.

The imperative is to catch it early, which I feel the OP has done. I am pretty sure he will be quite happy keeping what hair he has.

Oh yea. There are also several men who took finasteride quite late, like in their 30s and 40s. Some of those men were able to regrow and maintain as well. I find this quite inconsistent with what you said about guys losing it after a while. If men lost their hair for 10 years and regrow in their 30s-40s, why will a guy who took finasteride in his 20s lose his hair after taking finasteride? However, I do understand that genetics play an important part as well.