Iceman's Story

Iceman-

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a 23 year old college student.

1 year ago I had long hair. It was past my shoulders and very beautiful. I transfered to a new college and joned a fraternity Spring '06 semester. During the process I had to shave my head and my beautiful hair was lost, and maybe lost forever.

I started to grow back my shaved head and I was enjoying my new status on campus, and was attending parties 4 nights a week and drinking heavily.

Fast forward to January 2007. In an attempt to lose some weight I basically stopped eating for about a week - 10 days and I was feeling like crap. I woke up ne morning and took a shower and then as I was combing my hair a few big chunks pulled right out of my hairline. I don't remember the hairs being really thin or anything, they seemed to be at full, or close to full, diameter and they just fell out. A lot of shedding occured that week and I immediately resumed a normal diet. I don't know if this was caused by Androgenic Alopecia or otherwise.

Since then it has all gone downhill. I have been consistently shedding a lot of hair and miniaturizing alot of hair around my hairline, temples, crown and vertex. Probably best described as a diffuse thinning type loss in a typical Androgenic Alopecia way.

I started using Nizoral 1% in April and it seemed to help with the itching and seems to have decreased the number of hairs that come out when I run my hand through my hair. I also really thickens up my hair for a day or two after use, so that is a big plus.

I saw my doctor last week (1st week of June '07) and got a prescription for Proscar, which I promptly took to Walmart and had filled. I also have a 4 months supply of Rogaine 5% on hand. But frankly I am scared to start either one of these treatments, and have not started either one of them.

I come to this forum seeking advice. I have been browsing for several months and have purchased the "big three" as a result of my research here.

But now I want to start my own thread and get advice from memebers about my specific hairloss.

I have pics but for some reason I cannot host them. when I try my computer tells me I have some error or something and I cannot get the pics online. This happens in every forum I frequent and I can never post pics myself online. I would very much appreciate if someone could post a few pics for me if I e-mailed them to you. It would very much help out my situaton and make it tone easier to get advice from fellow memebers. So if anyone can please host a few basline pics for me I would very very much appreciate it. Please PM me or post in this thread if you can help a balding guy out.

Thanks, -Iceman

bababa

Established Member
Reaction score
Whats your family history of male pattern baldness?

If it's there, get on the finasteride and see how you go. If after a year your not getting the regrowth, maybe start with the minoxidil.

See how you go. I wouldn't worry about sides. It will be rare if you get them, and even if you do, they should last long.

Keep trying with those pics.

Chin up...

Iceman-

Reaction score
My Dad, his Brother (my uncle) and my Grandfather (their Father) are all three totally norwoodin' it. All three of them are total horseshoe's.

My brother who is 30 (7 years older than me) has a good hairline and shows no signs of balding to me. He looks a lot like my Mother, and her side of the family has perfect hair. I on the other hand, look exacly like my Father and Gandfather and they are both totally horsehoe bald. It is obvious what genes I got, and I hope to slow down the process like my cousin who also has the same genes and who told me about Nizoral.

If somebody would please be willing to host a few pics for me, it would certainly make the situation easier.

Thanks, -Iceman-

RaginDemon

Reaction score
nizoral alone isnt enough, you will most likely need finasteride to block DHT.

Iceman-

Reaction score
I still haven't started on finasteride or Rogaine yet. Any recommended doses for just starting finasteride? like .5 EOD or something and then gradulally increasing, or just going with one full mg every day right off the bat?

Also, I got into a fight last night with my friend (drunken street dance) and he grabbed two fist fulls of hair and ripped them out of the sides of my head, twice. I lost a lot of hair becuae of this and my hair now looks shittier than ever. Can I expect to grow back hair that has been pulled out? Or is it more likely that it will go into shock or something and mostly be lost forever?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
i am not sure if those two fist full of hair can be regrowed, but you need to tell your friend stop fighting like a biatch.