If castration doesn't work

Deaner

Reaction score
then how the hell does using Propecia? They say Propecia is a maintenance drug, for obvious reasons, because even castration is just maintenance. How then does Propecia give many people regrowth?

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Because the process of follicle miniaturization that excessive DHT causes is reversible if it's caught in time. Lower the DHT levels sufficiently and your hair follicles can return to health and send up full size hairs.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody's claiming that castration doesn't work at all, just that it has rather limited regrowth potential. And I think it's clear that the same is true of finasteride.

Bryan

bombscience

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Nobody's claiming that castration doesn't work at all, just that it has rather limited regrowth potential. And I think it's clear that the same is true of finasteride.

Bryan

It would be interesting to know at what point DHT's negative effects meant there was "no turning back" for a hair follicle even if that follicle was slightly affected.

I would speculate that once your follicle becomes prone to DHT there is no turning back, and the true rate at which you bald is determined by how fast your genetics are switching the follicles "on" to DHT.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
either that, or the damage itself it irreversible - which I believe is the case. Scar tissue is one thing the body rarely heals.

Deaner

Reaction score
Okay, so which one is it? How long can a hair be miniaturizing for before it's been lost, and castration, finasteride, dutasteride, etc. can't save it anymore?