If I can't take finasteride, is there any point in a transplant?

slipnslide

Reaction score
Forum newbie here. I'm seriously considering a transplant because it's now or never time.

When I first noticed recession 15 years ago, I went on finasteride for a while but it destroyed my sex life, so I'll never take it again.

My question is simple. Is there any point for me to pursue getting transplants if I can't take finasteride to maintain the hair that I have? Won't I end up with a good patch of transplanted hair in front and the rest of the top still balding?

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
People here will tell you different things, but IMHO you absolutely can have hair transplant without going on finasteride afterwards. If you cannot tolerate it you should not take it. If you had sides once you will have them again. You can do nizoral and minoxidil and be safe.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
To prevent what you are worried about you would have to have a much larger hair transplant that covers more area and as your top thins the transplanted grafts will remain. Or you could do smaller procedures to keep up with the loss perhaps over time. But without photos it is impossible to say for sure which is better or if the first is even possible.

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
It comes down to a matter of supply versus demand. Via FUT (strip excision), the average guy has something like 7,000 and maybe as much 10,000 donor grafts available (not counting graft failure, as there is not 100% survival). But a fully bald head needs something like 12,000 to 15,000 grafts for the "illusion" of coverage (not a full head of hair restored, but the "illusion" of coverage). In order to have impressive results, most guys need to retain as much original (non-transplanted) hair as possible.

I've also heard it described that the FUT (strip excision) total available donor area is roughly the size of a credit card, for the average guy. (that volume will be larger, if combining FUT with FUE, but not incredibly larger). Imagine trying to take the volume of hair in a small area, and distribute it across an entire head. That plan doesn't make a lot of sense.

The more hair you can keep, the better.

To prevent what you are worried about you would have to have a much larger hair transplant that covers more area and as your top thins the transplanted grafts will remain. Or you could do smaller procedures to keep up with the loss perhaps over time. But without photos it is impossible to say for sure which is better or if the first is even possible.

Agree, photos help a lot when asking for advice.

shookwun

Reaction score

still isn't a good candidate.

Native hair is the bread, and butter for restoration and making the look presentable.

Once those hairs are gone you're left with sparse transplant hair all over. Then what?

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
still isn't a good candidate.

Native hair is the bread, and butter for restoration and making the look presentable.

Once those hairs are gone you're left with sparse transplant hair all over. Then what?

You have another procedure done, I have had two myself and I see you have had two. Mine were 3300 and 2800. Just because they lose nearly all native hair on top does not mean they have to live like that. Yes it will be worse than if he was on finasteride though.

Reaction score
You have another procedure done, I have had two myself and I see you have had two. Mine were 3300 and 2800. Just because they lose nearly all native hair on top does not mean they have to live like that. Yes it will be worse than if he was on finasteride though.

What Norwood did you eventually end up, excluding the transplants?