if pasteurized milk is bad, why isn't cream?

HughJass

Reaction score
Many shops now carry whole cream that is merely pasteurized (not ultra pasteurized like most commercial cream); diluted with water, it is delicious on cereal and a good substitute for those allergic to milk.
http://www.mercola.com/article/milk/no-milk.htm

Rather than avoiding all dairy products altogether, a more sensible option would be to consume milk in its most natural state: raw, unprocessed and full-fat — if you can find it. I can't, so I drink only cream.
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/unhealthy-food-4.html

I've seen the studies that show how bad pastuerized milk can be, but why isn't pasteurized cream bad as well? Can anyone explain?

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
because the science on whether milk is bad is inconclusive
so there are people who say every kind of milk is bad and some that say they are good (with the exception of brest milk)

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
Because cream is almost all fat, while the allergenic part of milk are lactose (sugar) and casein (protein).

The Gardener

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
I've seen the studies that show how bad pastuerized milk can be, but why isn't pasteurized cream bad as well? Can anyone explain?
I saw a documentary somewhere that talked about this, I'll try to encapsulate the info as best I can from memory. It was a while ago, not sure if this is on the ball or if the said "documentary" had some sort of bs political spin to it, but I believe this was the story they were telling:

Apparently, outside of the high fat content, there is very LOW risk in drinking raw, unpasteurized milk from a microbial pathogen perspective PROVIDED the milk comes straight from the cow and is handled in a sanitary manner. The main lingering risk in indulging in this is from Listeria, which was the original reason why pasteurization was introduced, but Listeria can be prevented if you carefully maintain the health of the milk-producing cow. The only problem with Listeria is that the immune response to it can be delayed, so a cow can be infected for a period of time before becoming symptomatic.

However, the main reason why milk is pasteurized today isn't so much the Listeria that was the fear in older times, but for E Coli and Salmonella... and this isn't as much a function of cow health as it is an indictment of how dirty and sloppy modern factory dairy farms are. E Coli flourishes in the digestive tracts of animals, and I hate to sound blunt about it, but, in modern dairy farms there is cow crap everywhere. Salmonella is bred in standing water. So, when E Coli and Salmonella are listed as primary reasons to pasteurize milk, I think you can paint the picture in your own mind as to what's going on. These kinds of pathogens aren't related to the integrity of the actual milk itself, but are related to the handling of the milk, the surface areas the milk touches, etc.

As for why cream is not pasteurized, I have no idea. Perhaps the high fat content isn't a good vehicle for the pathogens? Now that I think about it, I believe my butter IS pasterized? I'll have to check when I get home.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Apparently, outside of the high fat content, there is very LOW risk in drinking raw, unpasteurized milk...

I wish people would get away from this deeply ingrained belief that fat is always and inarguably a BAD thing. See my previous posts about how the great Dr. Roger Williams considered the butterfat in milk to be important for cardiovascular health.

HughJass

Reaction score
vauxall said:
Because cream is almost all fat, while the allergenic part of milk are lactose (sugar) and casein (protein).

Ok.Hmmm....... seeing as cream is mostly butterfat does anything 'bad' happen to butterfat when you pasteurize it? Is it only the other components of milk which aren't found in cream that go bad when you pasteurize it?

I only ask because of this:

Butter & Arthritis

The Wulzen or "anti-stiffness" factor is a nutrient unique to butter. Dutch researcher Wulzen found that it protects against calcification of the joints--degenerative arthritis--as well as hardening of the arteries, cataracts and calcification of the pineal gland.9 Unfortunately this vital substance is destroyed during pasteurization. Calves fed pasteurized milk or skim milk develop joint stiffness and do not thrive. Their symptoms are reversed when raw butterfat is added to the diet.
http://www.westonaprice.org/Why-Butter-Is-Better.html

but maybe when they say butterfat they really meant milk? I hope so, I don't want any reason to give up cream.

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
The Gardener said:
Apparently, outside of the high fat content, there is very LOW risk in drinking raw, unpasteurized milk...

I wish people would get away from this deeply ingrained belief that fat is always and inarguably a BAD thing. See my previous posts about how the great Dr. Roger Williams considered the butterfat in milk to be important for cardiovascular health.

Frustrating isn't it? I didn't actually know any different to you posted that article maybe a year or more ago. Some further reading that Old Baldy posted plus some googling shows a wealth of data disproving what we've been indoctrinated with on saturated fats. Just more reason never to trust the medical establishment. Some recent research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:

Siri-Tarino PW, Sun Q, Hu FB, Krauss RM. Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease. Am J Clin Nutr 2010; First published ahead of print January 13, 2010 as doi: 10.3945/ajcn.2009.27725.

ABSTRACT

Background: A reduction in dietary saturated fat has generally been thought to improve cardiovascular health.

Objective: The objective of this meta-analysis was to summarize the evidence related to the association of dietary saturated fat with risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke, and cardiovascular disease (CVD; CHD inclusive of stroke) in prospective epidemiologic studies.

Design: Twenty-one studies identified by searching MEDLINE and EMBASE databases and secondary referencing qualified for inclusion in this study. A random-effects model was used to derive composite relative risk estimates for CHD, stroke, and CVD.

Results: During 5-23 y of follow-up of 347,747 subjects, 11,006 developed CHD or stroke. Intake of saturated fat was not associated with an increased risk of CHD, stroke, or CVD. The pooled relative risk estimates that compared extreme quantiles of saturated fat intake were 1.07 (95% CI: 0.96, 1.19; P = 0.22) for CHD, 0.81 (95% CI: 0.62, 1.05; P = 0.11) for stroke, and 1.00 (95% CI: 0.89, 1.11; P = 0.95) for CVD. Consideration of age, sex, and study quality did not change the results.

Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding tha dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.

"Our results suggested publication bias, such that studies with significant associations tended to be received more favorably for publication. If unpublished studies with null associations were included in the current analysis, the pooled RR estimate for CVD could be even closer to null."

Am J Clin Nutr (January 13, 2010). doi:10.3945/ajcn.2009.27725

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstrac ... 09.27725v1

The Gardener

Reaction score
Bryan said:
The Gardener said:
I didn't claim that fat is always and inarguably a bad thing, but I do think it's something that needs to be consumed with at least a modicum of moderation.

I very much agree that fats are an integral part of a diet. In fact, dairy fat in particular contains ample amounts of conjugated linoleic acids (CLA), which are anti-inflammatory, very good for the cardiovascular system, and most ironically, they are associated with the body's ability to manage excess body fat and hunger. The ironic thing being that some go to great lengths to cut out all dairy fats with the intent of slimming down, but end up depriving the body of an organic substance that actually helps the body do so on its own.