If you won a million dollars...

CCS

Reaction score
Would you be afraid that someone would kidnap your family and try to get random money?

Would you be afraid that someone on HairLossTalk.com would blackmail you, threatening to expose your online baldy life?

Would you be afraid that many people who know you would guilt trip you into giving them a chunk of it, and hate you if you don't?

Would you be afraid that people would read about you in the newspaper and scheme ways to sue you?

If you held that loto ticket in your hand, and knew of some way to win it under a pin name, and just pay the taxes secretly, would you? Or would you proudly let yahoo list you in their headline, and wait for the local hotties to line up and try to get you to buy them something?

Jacob

Reaction score
I'd keep it to myself as much as possible. Some states allow you to do just that. There have been shows on lotto winners and how they've lost it all..some of your questions above had a lot to do with it.

And if you did win..and since I'm the first to respond... :innocent:

Anarch

Established Member
Reaction score
Be as anonymous as possible…

…and say the money was already spent paying off student loans and family, which would be true.

Then live off the interest. I'm not a spender. Probably spend about $10,000 on some musical instruments. Pay for a super long vacation for my parents. Get some braces for my teeth. :gay:

GeminiX

Reaction score
Can you make it $5,000,000 or even $10,000,000?

One $million is not really enough to live on the interest alone these days, especially if you want to use some of the lump sum for property, a car etc. :)

CCS

Reaction score
GeminiX said:
Can you make it $5,000,000 or even $10,000,000?

One $million is not really enough to live on the interest alone these days, especially if you want to use some of the lump sum for property, a car etc. :)
If it was a trillion dollars, you could pay off anyone who threatened you, defeating the point of the question. But if it is somewhere between $100,000 and a million, then you really have to keep anonymous somehow, since it will only last you 5-10 years after taxes and such. But other people won't see it that way. They just see the lump $$$$ and want you to buy them a round and get angry if you don't.

s.a.f

Reaction score
CCS said:
Would you be afraid that someone would kidnap your family and try to get random money?

Would you be afraid that someone on HairLossTalk.com would blackmail you, threatening to expose your online baldy life?

Would you be afraid that many people who know you would guilt trip you into giving them a chunk of it, and hate you if you don't?

Would you be afraid that people would read about you in the newspaper and scheme ways to sue you?

If you held that loto ticket in your hand, and knew of some way to win it under a pin name, and just pay the taxes secretly, would you? Or would you proudly let yahoo list you in their headline, and wait for the local hotties to line up and try to get you to buy them something?

Jeez man you really are paranoid. :shakehead:

As Geminix said already, $1m is'nt much these days you could buy a nice house and car but you'd struggle to live on what was left.
There are plenty of people around who have that kind of money and they live with these fears, neither do average lottery winners.
The majority of lottery winners just retire to a comfortable life but there are some who are just ridiculously dumb and insist on advertising the fact and they're the ones who fall victim to leeches.

If I won a million I'd simply invest it in propert and live a middle class lifestyle, if anyone asked how I could afford things I'd say I got lucky on a share investment.

GeminiX

Reaction score
CCS said:
If it was a trillion dollars, you could pay off anyone who threatened you, defeating the point of the question. But if it is somewhere between $100,000 and a million, then you really have to keep anonymous somehow, since it will only last you 5-10 years after taxes and such. But other people won't see it that way. They just see the lump $$$$ and want you to buy them a round and get angry if you don't.

Just noticed your reply, the world really does not work that way. You don't need to pay anyone off, you just don't associate with leeches.

I don't think I really understand your question, who is going to threaten you and get angry for not buying a round?

The only scenario I can visualise is someone going out to a pub or club and bragging about having a $million in the bank (a lot). Maybe then (assuming anyone believes them) one or two drunk people might get nasty about it; but I don't think it's a very realistic or likely scenario.

s.a.f

Reaction score
GeminiX said:
Just noticed your reply, the world really does not work that way. You don't need to pay anyone off, you just don't associate with leeches.

I don't think I really understand your question, who is going to threaten you and get angry for not buying a round?

The only scenario I can visualise is someone going out to a pub or club and bragging about having a $million in the bank (a lot). Maybe then (assuming anyone believes them) one or two drunk people might get nasty about it; but I don't think it's a very realistic or likely scenario.

You have to understand that in CCS's world EVERYTHING is associated with how attractive it makes you. Money is not just a form of currency to be exchanged for goods/services its a addition to the criteria needed to attract or influence people.

GeminiX

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
You have to understand that in CCS's world EVERYTHING is associated with how attractive it makes you. Money is not just a form of currency to be exchanged for goods/services its a addition to the criteria needed to attract or influence people.

I was wondering as I posted whether I was at the start of a thread I was better off avoiding.

As a general rule I tend to treat posts from CSS as something of an SEP. :)