IfAHairFalls (age 23): 2.5 months in (big 3) - Pics to come

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a first time poster, but I've been visiting this site pretty often ever since February. (Sorry if this is a long post. But given all the usual questions I see in response to these posts, I'll try to make this as comprehensive as possible)

First notice of loss
The first time I thought I might have a problem on my hands was in September of 2009. During this time, I had a weird illness that lasted from July to Oct. where I'd get exhausted for 7-10 days (I'd sleep for 18 hours a day and still feel tired). Then, in almost a matter of hours, I'd feel completely fine. Feeling fine would last for about a week, and then out of nowhere, I'd feel tired again. At the time, I was studying for the Charted Finance Analyst L1 exam, so I'd notice some more hair than normal in the pages. I chalked the hairloss up to the illness and moved along. All tests that I had came back fine, other than iron being a little low.

Crap! I'm going bald!
I first had my moment of hairloss realization the same day I dropped this girl I had fallen for off at the airport. She was in the US because of our year-long work program for recent college grads and had to leave the US to go back home for work. Naturally, I was feeling crappy, and as my family and I were going out to eat that night, my dad tried to make a wisecrack comment that he could see my bald spot. So, yeah, that day wasn't too fun. After eating, I went upstairs and checked it out in the mirror, and saw a thin line running up from my vortex to the center-right of my head. Greaaaat...

Diagnosis
I went to my GP in February, and he said, "yep, you have male pattern baldness." That day (after a month of researching) I got a subscription to Propecia.

I also went to a dermatologist 2 months later just for confirmation, but after telling him my story, he thought I had Telogen Effluvium. I'm going to another dermatologist who specializes in hair loss, just to get male pattern baldness confirmation. Why am I doing this? Who knows?

Hair loss so far
Pretreatment: I only had a little loss on my crown, nothing more. Density and everything else was fine.

From treatment start 2/25 to 5/10: After only taking finasteride, for about three weeks, my front right temple area had obvious thinning. I also had thinning and increase loss on the entire top of my head. Every part of my top and a little bit of the top part of my sides has had thinning. I guess my male pattern baldness does not discriminate (hooray for equality!). I started minoxidil about 3 weeks into my treatment, and I apply it only to the crown and front right of my head.

Regimen
- 1 mg of Propecia (2.5 months)
- Min twice daily (2 months)
- nizoral 1% (2.5 months)

Where I stand now
Currently, I am still losing a good amount of hair in all parts of the top of my head. The increase in loss has been steady ever since I started finasteride. If I run all my fingers through my hair and close them together, I'll get 1-2 hairs every single time. The places where I've applied minoxidil has yet to have any signs of growth. I feel that I've gone frop 90% density to about 60% density. I know it's early, but it is frustrating to know I might have gotten into the fight later than I thought. Whereas, in February, I thought I was ahead of the game.

Side effects?
Nope. Not really. I had a week about one month in where "mini-IfAHairFalls" wouldn't salute, but now everything's all good. It prob was just an adjusting period.

One last thing
Sorry if this message comes off negative in any way. I've got a great family, a good job, and good friends. I'm typically a really happy-go-lucky guy. However, sometimes this stuff can really get me down. If you guys can offer any support or words of wisdom. I'd really appreciate it.

I'll try to update as often as possible.

Thanks for the read.

Reaction score
Here are all the pictures I have. I know they are not the best, but they are all I have to go off of.

All of my noticeable thinning is occurring on both of my colics. I have a colic on the top right of my head and also on the front right part of my head. The thinnest part is on the top-right part of my crown and almost goes straight through and connects with the right temple.

Any thoughts are welcome! But, to me, it seems like obvious male pattern baldness and not Telogen Effluvium.

Either way, I'll update from month to month to note any progress.

Attachments

• Baseline.png
    Baseline.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,410
  • 2.5 M Top.jpg
    2.5 M Top.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 2.5 M Temple.jpg
    2.5 M Temple.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 192
Reaction score
HEy man:)
ur hair looks fine and u will benefit from the finasteride i'm sure.
Been on finasteride for 2,5 month now and my hairloss is beginning to decrease. Lost alot of thin hair when i started the treatment but my hair feels better now. So keep it up and don't expect anything until the 8-12 month point.
good luck to you

Reaction score
Update

OK. So, I went to a doctor that specializes in hair loss, and I was told that I have diffuse alopecia areata. Apparently, I also have hair loss on the sides just above my ears. I guess this, coupled with my illness from six months ago and patchy facial hair lead him to this conclusion.

I am still skeptical, but I was subscribed Clobetasol to put all over the top of my head. I put this on in the night, and minoxidil in the morning. It seemed that initially my hair loss increased, but now almost no hair is coming out from the top of my head. Being realistic, I don't know if I can attribute this to the clobetasol being that it's only been two weeks. However, tis a good sign, right?

Alopecia areata is tantamount to your body treating your hair like it's an allergy. My doctor said my immune system attacks my hair like it would for my dust, grass, or dust mite allergy. However, I don't know if two weeks of clobetasol would be long enough to halt this process.

Either way, let me know your thoughts on this, and I'll keep you all updated.