Im thinking of ditching the Minoxidil

AD

Reaction score
I've been on the Big 3 pretty consistently for the past 2 1/2 years, and have been using Folligen to control flaking for about 5 months...even so though, my scalp is still itchy and irritated, and I havent seen any regrowth...

Do you think its okay for me to drop the Minoxidil from my regime, and maybe just focus on inhibitng DHT? Besides, isnt it true that the effects of Minoxidil are lost after about a year anyway?

If I do decide to move towards a focus on DHT blockers, whats a good one to use (besides the Proscar I am currently using)? Revivogen?

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil never stops working IMO. My regrowth probably peaked at 8-12 months, but is still the same now at 17 month mark. As Bryan teaches us, minoxidil provides an offset of growth somewhat indefinitely.

If you drop the minoxidil and have a bad shed, then you'll know it was helping. At that point I'd suggest you buy some 2% minoxidil and see if that formula causes less itching (2% formulas have 20% less propylene glycol, which is the itch/flake cause for many).

If you find the 2% formula tolerable, go to http://www.minoxidil.com and order Dr.Lee's 5% minoxidil. It has the same 30% PG content as the 2% formulas.

I too am back to looking into topical DHT blockers, only because I've quit finasteride. Used 2% spironolactone for many months in the past but can't judge effectiveness as my minoxidil results were taking off at the time.

You're already on finasteride, maybe just see if that keeps you stable before adding a topical for DHT.

I'd wait 6 months after stopping minoxidil before adding a topical DHT fighter. If you're going to use a topical, it might as well be one that fights hairloss from another angle (minoxidil).

Sorry if that's confusing.

KrazyK

Established Member
Reaction score
I would say stay on it. Even if you are using the finasteride as well. I believe it works "indefinately" too. MAybe you won't see any regrowth. But the hairs on your head that have not fallen out the past 2.5 years because of your minoxidil use, will all rapidly fall out in the coming months if you stop minoxidil.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
I would recommend most definetly staying on it. You say you haven't seen any regrowth but does that mean that your hair also hasn't noticably gotten worse over that 2.5 year duration. The problem with minoxidil is it rejuvenates weak hairs and the stimulus it provides is needed to maintain the hairs that were rejuvenated. When the stimulus is taken away the hairs will naturally degenerate back to their normal state. I hate saying this but unless your ready for an appreciable shed, then your going to be stuck with minoxidil for life.

AD

Reaction score
Ok so i guess i'll suffer a bit more and stay on with the minoxidil :)

But i still am intrigued about adding Revivogen since isnt it supposed to block even more of the DHT than just finasteride alone? Anyone think this stuff is worth it?