In Need Of Some Opinions/experience

diddi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. I've previously viewed this forum and thought it would be an ideal place to listen to any views etc.

Firstly, this is my first ever post, and I presume like the majority of you, we have an unwanted "obstacle" in common :(

Okay, so I'm here as I have a bit of a dilemma. Until recently (last year), I've always had thick wavy hair. However, I have noticed a deduction in the density (on top). On the Norwood scale, I'm a NW1/1.5 and have been this ever since I can remember. I'm 24 now. My fringe and hairline remain strong, but behind no longer has the same density. Fortunately, my hair texture covers this up (when dry) but I'm not in denial to myself that I'm probably losing it via a diffuse type of loss (very early stages). The male side in my family;

Father (54) - NW1.5 - Diffusing (mild/moderate)
Grandfather - Maternal - NW5/6
Grandfather - Paternal - NW2 - Diffusing (mild/moderate)
Uncle - Maternal - NW1.5 - No signs of any diffusing/loss
Uncle - Paternal - NW4

Now, here comes my dilemma. After doing some research, I've found come across Propecia (finasteride) which shows some successful cases. The thing is, I've been doing a little bit of research on this drug, and oh my, the side effects look terrifying. Of course with all medication comes risk and side effects, but the possibility on certain side effects been irreversible would be a nightmare (especially after short-term usage too). Furthermore, I realise they're low in the terms of percentage but nevertheless, a possibility means someone will have to suffer from them. On the other hand, I have read success stories too but it seem that the bad reviews outweigh the positives. I always thought, if worst comes to worst, I'd get a transplant, but upon research have found the majority of surgeons recommend Propecia after the actual surgery too. Therefor, if that's going to be the case, then perhaps I should start Propecia now with the hope I'll be in the lucky percentage and delay any surgery for years to come? Or have numerous transplant surgeries in the future? I feel like I've come to a crossroad, as hairloss is on my mind 24/7 and I cannot stop thinking about it. Unfortunately, I don't have the headshape, nor the body/build to pull of a shaved head if or when the time comes. This seems to have come at the worst time too, as I'm about to start University and hopefully a new life, but I'm unable to concentrate on anything else, and it's really depressing me. I know it's literally not the end of the world, but it certainly seems it. Any wise-words, experiences or opinions are greatly welcomed (Both good and bad). Thank you to everyone in advance.

Kind regards
Hugh

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
My experience:
- I took Propecia for several years in my 20s. Had no strong side effects (except erections that were a bit weaker in the first months of use) until I started an anti-anxiety drug. At that time, the combination of the two led me to stop propecia.
- After the stop, no PFS syndrome: after some weeks, it was like I had never taken Propecia.
- I restarted Propecia when I did not need other drugs that could interact with it. I had testicle ache for some days, then less strong erections. After three months, the side effects subsided.

It's all so personal. You will find your answer when your hairloss (I hope: never) is so bad that you want to test Propecia despite the reported side effects.

Samson123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are right to be cautious about taking finasteride. Many things can go wrong anytime you start messing with your hormones. Many finasteride users have reported side effects that no study ever showed. I experienced, along with many others, accelerated hairloss. After nine months on finasteride my hair didn't resemble at all the hair I started with. My hair thinned out everywhere, back, sides, and started balding in the crown and mid scalp, areas that were completely thick before finasteride. This along with the so called permanent side effects even after cessation of the drug can happen. Chances are slim but the fact is they do happen. When you deprive your body of a hormone the body can counter that by increasing the androgen receptor sites. This explains why some get worse on finasteride and also,IMO, explains PFS. This is commonly referred to as AR upregulation. This is the reason why men who have been taking finasteride for a while and quit lose a ton of hair very fast. If AR upregulation didn't happen then the hairloss would resume at its pre-finasteride rate, but this, generally speaking, doesn't happen. The main problem with AR upregulation is that they don't necessarily downregulate after stopping finasteride. This is probably why people experience permanent side effects after quitting. DHT levels return to normal but the AR remain upregulated. I would recommend getting a DHT test to pre-screen yourself for finasteride use. If your levels are high I think it's safe to say you would benefit from finasteride. If they are on the low side, approach with caution with low doses, like .25 mg. No matter what, do not start with 1 mg because if you have to lower the dose or quit for whatever reason, you could be screwed due to the fact that your AR have upregulated to the higher dose and might not downregulate. People start and stop finasteride all the time with no problems while others are not so lucky, so proceed with caution.