India's "different ingredients" clause

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
I understand that under Indian law, companies like CIPLA are allowed to manufacter and sell things like Finpecia, because the "process" is different, but the main chemicals (finasteride I presume) are the same.

However, reading this commentary here :

http://www.4cnrs-generic.com/commentary.html

I was concerned with the comment "With their new strategy, Indian generic drug makers do not even challenge a patent directly, rather they argue that their product doesn't infringe on patent protection because it is made of different ingredients, even though it has the same effect as a branded drug."

Do they mean "fillers"? How can you make a 1mg of finasteride, using different ingredients? Is this simply a wording problem with whomever wrote this article?

HairLossTalk.com, I bought my finasteride, from Drugs One, linking from this site, what are your thoughts on Cipla, and finasteride? My package, looks like everyone elses, blister strips, marked "Finpecia" and the location in India (in other words, it does look like real packaging, for whatever that's worth).

I am trying to reconcile the above comment about ingredients, with the claim that it is the same drug.

oni

Reaction score
You can make bread lots of different ways but they all taste like bread

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
yes but...

yes, but you still have to use yeast...

just wasn't clear on what different ingredients they are using.

I have read the history of threads here regarding Cipla/finasteride and it seems to be positive. I guess there is no total way to know, unless you tested it.

I have taken it about one month and am happy to report I haven't noticed ANY sides...which of course, makes me wonder (since I did have sides on Merk a few years ago).

Who knows.

oni

Reaction score
no they don't all contain yeast

When you make a drug or chemical if you want to call it that, you can use different methods and elements to obtain it.

I also might be wrong but you cannot patent a mixture it's the process and the way you put them together that counts so change them and you avoid the patent laws but end up with the same drug.

It's a very fine line they walk.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
and im glad they walk it, considering the fact that we wont be seeing generic finasteride in the U.S. for some time.

Axon

Reaction score
So don't take Cipla or Reddy's brand. I use those products and they work for me; when they stop working I'll pay the U.S. premium.