iNPHiD3L's Story - 3 year update with pics

inphid3l

Reaction score
2 Month Update.

I am not posting pics because I am pretty sure they would look exactly the same as my baseline pictures. I have noticed in the last couple of days, if I shake my hands vigorously through my hair, a lot of hairs will fall out. This was never the case before. I have actually never seen any loose hairs fall out in the shower or left in the towel or any other time for that matter. I am hoping the finasteride is starting to knock out some of the weaklings to replace them with stronger specimens. The hairs that do fall out seem to be thin and weak looking strands.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am 27 years old. I have virtually no history of hair loss in my family and did not see this coming at all! I noticed some thinning in the crown of my hair that I foolishly attributed to the large headphones I wear all day that sit in that exact spot on my head. I continued to ignore the issue for around a year until recently when I have noticed thinning on the top of my head as well. I did not realize how rapidly my hair was falling out, but I have always had extremely thick hair, and I'd probably say 1/3 to 1/2 of my hair has fallen out from the crown and then right down the middle of the top of my head.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36894811@N04/3399093694/

I freaked out one day and I ordered a bottle of Minoxidil 15% topical solution that also has 5% Azelaic Acid which is a DHT inhibitor as well. I also bought some 1% Nizoral as it was all I could find in stores. Finally, I made a Dr. appt to get some Finasteride.

Once my initial panic attack was over, I had pretty much decided I didn't want to start right off with the Minoxidil. I started on 1.25mg of Finasteride daily on 03/18/09. I am using Nizoral 1% Shampoo every MWF.

I wanted to ride this out and see if I could just keep what I still have, but then my girlfriend just mentioned how my hair was looking really thin on top. It looks much thinner when it is wet and styled than when it is dry like the attached picture. Now I am considering starting the Minoxidil treatment as well to see if I can gain some thickness back that I once had.

Would it be a mistake to start off at 15% right away on the top of the head? Should I try 2% or 5% first?

The product I am considering usage of is on the website http://www.perfecthairsolutions.com and it is the 15% minoxidil + 5% Azelaic Acid.

Attachments

• 090330.jpg
    090330.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 196

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
Re: iNPHiD3L's Story - (27)

some people will tell you to not even use minoxidil until after 1 year of using finasteride

i would say its your choice to start using it immediately or not

however i would only use the 5% minoxidil ..... sometimes more isn't always better

besides you can always build up to using the 15% later on

in my opinion your hair loss is not bad, it looks like slight thinning in the crown ....... usually finasteride does a pretty good job in early mbp candidates

be aware that finasteride and minoxidil are life long commitments and you need to keep using them or your hair will return to pre-treatment male pattern baldness

good luck on this bumpy male pattern baldness road

cheers

inphid3l

Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback. I did try applying some of the minoxidil this morning. I am so concerned with things getting worse that maybe I am being irrational. I think I am going to go with only Finasteride and nizoral for at least 6 months and see what happens. Than at least I will know if there is some improvement that I can attribute it to the Finasteride pills.

On a side note, my Dr. prescribed me propecia but I was obviously put off by the cost of it. I saw people talking about taking proscar instead and cutting it. I actually went with generic finasteride 5mg tablets which was even cheaper than proscar. I got a year's supply shipped for under $200 @ drugstore.com.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score

finasteride will work great for your type of hair loss, you caught it just in time. Good luck and be sure to update us :)

inphid3l

Reaction score

I have now been taking 1.25 mg finasteride for over 3 years. I have seen maybe a little improvement but mostly what I am happy with is that I have retained most, if not all, of what I had when I started. It has also dropped in price to around $80 a year.

I have now started applying rogaine foam twice a day, and have been doing so for 2 months. I have gained significant thickness in my crown and I hope to gain a little bit more thickness in the center of my hairline, but no success yet.

I use nizoral shampoo MWF and Sunday

The pictures below show results with and without the flash.

fCkeg.jpg