Introduction And Questions About Shaving My Head

IHPSDM

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 36 and I would guess I'm at NW4?

After growing tired of looking at my thinning hair in the mirror and reviewing all of my options, I decided to shave my head a couple of weeks ago.

I really did not like the way it looked, however. Plus, there were a lot of problems with bumps and red spots. My scalp is also very flaky and itchy. I used a Wahl Professional Balding Clipper and am not sure what I did wrong? I have put aloe vera lotion on it and it does feel better after a while, but the hassle of shaving it has caused me some reservations. I also still see red bumps. What did I do wrong? Should I use a razor? How often do I have to shave it if I want to keep it as close to 0 as possible? For the guys that do shave their heads, how long does it take to do it and how often do you do it?

I have attached pictures of how my "hair" looks after two weeks regrowth. I'm not great at taking pictures, but hopefully it captures where I'm at with my hair loss.

About me.....I'm 36, single and don't have any kids.

The good news is that I'm not concerned with how women in general feel about how I look. I'm not interested in dating, as I've lived alone for years. I lived with three different women in the past and hated it. I really just like living alone. I also work from home, so I don't have to deal with coworkers on a daily basis. I can also wear a hat if I go out in public, so this isn't the end of the world to me. I've also never really been attractive to people in general, so again, if the shaved head makes me less attractive, so be it.

The problems came when I started seeing the thinning in the front. I just can't stand it for some reason. There's something about looking at it that makes me realize that I'm inching closer to death. Just having the bald spot in the back didn't bother me because I couldn't see it.

I don't want to deal with rogaine, etc. to hold on to what is left or try and regrow hair. A hairpiece also does not interest me as I read that a lot of people found it wasn't comfortable at all. Gettting a fue transplant also does not interest me due to potential scarring and the cost. It doesn't seem worth it since I'm not really around others all that much.

I do care very much about how my family feels about my appearance, however. My parents, my siblings, my nieces and my nephews...I care very much about their opinions of me. They would not put me down, but the biggest issue is my mother. Even though she lives hours away from me, she makes it a point to be heavily involved in my life. I'm concerned about how she will react to my shaved head. As for the other members of my family, I really only see them during holidays, so I have time to mess around with different looks.

Attachments

• IMG_20160817_132250716_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160817_132250716_HDR.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20160817_131633536.jpg
    IMG_20160817_131633536.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20160817_132254055.jpg
    IMG_20160817_132254055.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_20160817_132258778.jpg
    IMG_20160817_132258778.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 242

Runninghair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What advice is it you want? You have shaved your head and you are getting on with it. Just be more gentle shaving it or pay 5er and get it done at a barbers

IHPSDM

My Regimen
Reaction score
My questions mainly deal with how often I need to do it in order to keep it close to 0? Multiple times a week? I get being more gentle, but should I be using a different method or different clippers? Is the razor option better if I want to keep it shaved down as much as possible? I really don't have the time to go to a barber that often.

Also, what other products are available to help with the red bumps, itchiness, flakiness, etc.? Aloe Vera helps somewhat, but I still see a lot of red bumps along with the other issues mentioned.

Señor AIDidaS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hear there are plenty of products designed specifically for shaving your head. I would highly recommend you sign up for Sly Bald Guys to get more answers. Sorry to push you away to another forum, but it seems like these guys are more oriented towards trying to restore hair.

IHPSDM

My Regimen
Reaction score
After checking out the site, Sly Bald Guys seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!