INT's story

INT

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :)

At first I'd like to apologise for my (probably) bad English. It's not my first language, I'm Dutch.

Well... my story is a little different than the most stories I've red here.
I'm nearly 20 years old and I have dark thick curly hair which I am very happy with (most of the time). I can't remember I'd ever had a Norwood 0, since the the day I pay attention to my hair(11 years old) I've always seen a Norwood 1. So I never really had a straight hairline. Luckely enough for me it hasn't recede till today. :)

You guys are probably thinking right now: 'then what the hell are you doing here dude!?' :dunno:
Well... I will try to give an answer on that question. I'd like you to meet my MKB family!

My dad started going bald when he was 22/23. (Now 50 years old and Norwood 4,5)
His brother started going bald when he was 26/27. (Now 53 years old and Norwood 4)
My dad's dad: Died at 73 with a Norwood 2.

My mothers dad started going bald in his late 20's. (Now 87 years old and Norwood 6)

As you can see my hair future looks pretty bad. AND I HATE THAT! My hair is my everything and I would die if I started losing it. (I will post some pics of my hair of any one would like to see it).
I get a lot of compliments about my hair and I'm 100% sure that if I started losing it I would be depressed as hell.

This obsession started about three years ago when I had to make a report about baldness by a teacher of mine who was bald when I made a joke about it.
A punnishment by a teacher probably will never ever have the same inpact on me again as this one. :thumbdown2: Untill that day I had never ever thought about hairloss untill I did read on Wikipedia that hairloss is in the genes. :thumbdown2:
I guess I am lucky that my obsession started so early because I now know a lot about propecia, proscar, minoxodil hair transplants and many more and my hairline hasn't even started receding.

Well, that was my story. Again appologies for the bad English and feel free to respond. :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
Heya :)

Erm... well what age did they start going bald?

Personally I do think it's possible to do things in many individuals to put off or slow down hair loss. Try to stick to a healthy and active lifestyle - don't overdo carbohydrate, sugar or fat. Or dairy.

If you start getting stressed or anything at any point (and it goes on for some time) then I would recommend taking Holy Basil, but don't mix it with flax seeds!

Keep an eye on your hairline, if you see it going back take finasteride or something EARLY, and maybe be prepared to use some pretty powerful stuff like Spectral DNC instead of Minoxidil and a really good combo of shampoos - Nizoral and maybe something like Nioxin, I've heard good things about that stuff :)

I wouldn't say it's impossible to control it but the more aggressive balding is the more active maintaining you'll have to do, and IMO the more you'll have to watch your lifestyle, as you don't want to inadvertently push your free testosterone or DHT levels too high.

I would recommend (when you see it's happening) flax seeds, finasteride, nizoral, Spectral DNC, a good hair loss shampoo and maybe something else to give it a kick like topical spironolactone.

Good luck dude, and chin up! :)

PS, if worst comes to the worst there are good "hair systems" and things out there these days, like Hair Direct and stuff, it's fairly alright as a last resort, and tbh makes me feel pretty ok about the "worst case scenario" :)

INT

Reaction score
seaback said:
Yeah it looks that you are doomed to be bald... To know for sure what your future holds I would advice you to look at you mum's dad. You are likely to follow the same pattern. Drugs are not powerful enough to retain your hair against a NW6 pattern. If you have screwed genetics then you will end up bald like the teacher you made fun of. It's not the end of the world, you will just be an outcast. Try to work hard on acceptance.

Yeah I know that without doing anything against it I will probably end up just like my dad or my grandfather.

Isn't there the slightest bit of hope for me when I start on the Big 3 when I'm round 22 years old and still a Norwood 1 I will keep my Norwood untill about 30 years?

Hoppi

Reaction score
INT said:
seaback said:
Yeah it looks that you are doomed to be bald... To know for sure what your future holds I would advice you to look at you mum's dad. You are likely to follow the same pattern. Drugs are not powerful enough to retain your hair against a NW6 pattern. If you have screwed genetics then you will end up bald like the teacher you made fun of. It's not the end of the world, you will just be an outcast. Try to work hard on acceptance.

Yeah I know that without doing anything against it I will probably end up just like my dad or my grandfather.

Isn't there the slightest bit of hope for me when I start on the Big 3 when I'm round 22 years old and still a Norwood 1 I will keep my Norwood untill about 30 years?

well I think so ^_^

But then what do I know, I'm the naive stupid one lol xD

INT

Reaction score
Isn't it maybe an idea to allready start with propecia? I mean the chance that I will get male pattern baldness in 5 years is almost 100%.

What do you think? Starting on propecia when I'm not (yet) losing my hair?

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would say be on your guard right now.Try taking pics once in every 3 months.The moment you notice some changes in your hairline and density,get on propecia.

INT

Reaction score
mpbsux20 said:
I would say be on your guard right now.Try taking pics once in every 3 months.The moment you notice some changes in your hairline and density,get on propecia.

Thanks for your reply. The problem is. I don't make photo's but check my hair every day. The problem with looking every day is that you really can't see big changes...

Sometimes there are a few weeks when I think my hairline really is receding.

The other week my hairline look better than ever.

Too bad right now I'm thinking more like the first one about my hairline :thumbdown2:

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the early stages of male pattern baldness....I would still say take photos every 3 months and once you feel its becoming worse,start using the treatments.

INT

Reaction score
mpbsux20 said:
Sounds like the early stages of male pattern baldness....I would still say take photos every 3 months and once you feel its becoming worse,start using the treatments.

How do you mean? Those doubt-feelings am I having for about 3 years now. Still, my hair hasn't change in those 3 years.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Initially I felt that something was wrong with my hairline for a few years.It slowly started thinning in other places like top,sides and crown.My hairline was beginning to look more than a mature hairline and this is when I decided to act.