Iron deficiency & Hair loss

wallace911

Reaction score
Does anybody know if chronic low Ferritin levels can cause hair loss in men?

I only found out today that I have iron deficiency (just as my mum and granddad). My Doctor said I will most likely not be able to balance this with my diet. I am a heavy meat eater anyways. He prescribed something a kind of supplement. So I guess I have always had low levels ... my Ferritin levels are at 35 at the moment and the labs norm is 30 - 400. I know it can be lower than this.

However my hair is not only falling out it has ever since I can remember looked like crap. Really thin, feeling dead ... people used to call me Einstein. Any chance this can be due to the lack of iron.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Google it man. Iron defeciency is directly involved with hair loss. If you have a receding hair line or thinning crown then you could also be suffering male pattern baldness, maybe accelerated your iron levels.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
goten574 said:
Get more iron in your life, it can't hurt.

Yes, it can. Iron accumulates with age and can be a problem especially to men.

The excess iron theory has been suggested before as an explanation to why women live about 5 to 8 years longer than men. Because women lose iron through menstruation, their iron levels are constantly lower than men's. The theory says that there is not only a correlation but a causation between age and iron levels. Keeping iron levels low should thus slow down aging in men as well.

wallace911

Reaction score
Well obviously I did google this but found that mostly women suffer from hair loss due to a lack of iron. How many men on this board had hair loss due to iron deficiency? I found one so far and his levels were at 1.2 ... I was diagnosed with male pattern baldness anyways, though the dermatologist never checked my mineral levels. I will see another one now on monday about this.

However thanks for your replies I will keep you posted.