Iron Supplementing. Has Everyone Made Sure They're Not Irondeficient?

Hangin'on Hair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's something I have always been wondering. Am I deficient??? Don't know. Would like to know. Haven't had blood work done in a while.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am a woman and i went for a hair transplant consult and Dr looked at my ferritin and told me i was deficient even though it was low normal at 12..My primary is testing my blood every 6 weeks and monitoring my dosage. Its tricky some people absorb quick and easy and some not so quick or easy.

I found this article today
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...516/hair-loss-may-be-iron-deficiency?page=2#1

From what they wrote it is not that low iron causes the hair loss but that it makes it worse earlier and treatments work better if its at a recommended level BUT can't be too high because toxic and can cause hair loss.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This was written that i found interesting.

"Our theory is that lower iron levels decrease the threshold for developing hair loss of any kind in genetically predisposed individuals," Cotsarelis says. "So people prone to develop even hereditary hair loss, if their iron levels are low, it accelerates that process. We think it's because the hair follicles grow so much, they require a lot of iron."

cuprous

Reaction score
From what I have read it is really hard for men to become iron deficient. Too lazy to look it up but apparently we have years worth of iron in our bones. Whether this means we can't suffer from minor deficiencies is another story but, personally, I'm never going to take an iron supplement.

In fact in the longevity community there are many that advocate men donate blood to get their heme down. We age, in part, from oxidative stress. Check out the research at http://www.healtheiron.com/

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
From what I have read it is really hard for men to become iron deficient. Too lazy to look it up but apparently we have years worth of iron in our bones. Whether this means we can't suffer from minor deficiencies is another story but, personally, I'm never going to take an iron supplement.

In fact in the longevity community there are many that advocate men donate blood to get their heme down. We age, in part, from oxidative stress. Check out the research at http://www.healtheiron.com/

you should not take iron supplements unless you have low ferritin..which is rarely tested..mine was 12 Dr wants it above 70...he said this unmasked my Androgenetic Alopecia..meaning made it apparent or accelerated it. This checked out against several studies and spoken to a few women on other hair loss sites. (this one not too many women actually fighting hair loss)
Its definitely a problem with women but i dont know about men.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Iron supplements are overall poorly absorbed and can cause some uncomfortable side effects, mostly of the gastrointestinal kind.

Instead, when I want to replenish my iron supplies, I cook myself a nice braised pork/beef heart or liver. Chicken heart risotto is also delicious. To mention, the stuff is packed full with proteins and vitamins and is dirt cheap since people usually poo-poo the idea of eating offal.