Is it painful to have hair transplant?

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have this phobia of having surgeries. When I look at people's surgery pictures they look very painful to me. I also have low tolerance of pain. Was the experience of having a hair transplant painful for you? Please indicate if you had FUT or FUE with your response. Thanks.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I had strip and yeah I suppose it is!!
Having multiple shots in the head to numb you, the operation itself is relativly pain free but sitting still for hours and hours is very uncomfortable.
But yeah when they wear of it does sting quite a bit.
FUE is apparantly much easier but in my case I wanted hair so bad I was'nt bothered what it felt like.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I didn't find the surgery particulary painful. I was dreading it as I hate the sight of blood, and I thought the worst part would be the cutting of the strip, but no, didn't feel a thing, you could have hit me with a baseball bat and I wouldn't have known.

Granted, the injections hurt the most, but nothing too bad...in fact the worst part of having a transplant imo is the waiting for results.

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah it hurts.
i had FUE - the injections in the back of the head were unexpectedly painful, but, what are you gonna do...
the recipient site has had a heap of little slits in it and something 'foreign' (the follicle) stuffed into them - it's not really painful, but it is pretty tender for a while.
the generally uncomfortable feeling (dull ache and numbness both in recipient and donor sites and the whole top of my head [where i didn't donate or receive any hair]) has lasted more than 2 weeks for me so far - some say numbness can last for months, so i will just have to see how i go.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it hurts, don;t let anybody kid you !

Dr Shaprio has a nerve block he gives you which is one shot in the forhead and it's supposed to numb you up so you don't feel the other shots nearly aas much.

Some Dr's use a vibrating device on your head and that definitely makes the shots much more tolerable.

bullitnut

Reaction score
i had two butchered uk surgeries that hurt like hell, the worst pain id ever endured in my life :( but then i had a repair with dr Shapiro and it was imo 99.9% pain free... a little uncomfortable at times but 99.9 percent pain free :)(ive had a lot worse pain at the dentist) so i think it has a lot to do with the skill of the clinic and surgeon as well as patient characteristics

ganyuehan

Reaction score
There's some pain and tightness on the back of the head after the surgery that can be controlled with medication. The surgery wasn't painful but maybe a tad scary, as you can feel them cutting, and tugging that strip from the back of your head.