Is It Possible That Minoxidil Killed My Hairline?

breakfree

My Regimen
Reaction score
Over 6 months ago I started shedding massively allover, at that point I already had a mild widow's peak and some frontal thinning, so I knew that it was a sign of me going bald - so I made an appointment with my doctor. He checked my blood(everything was OK, only thing was that my thyroid TSH was 1 point too high), and he got me on Finasteride. 6 days after that I also got on Minoxidil(1mg finasteride once daily, 5%minoxidil twice daily). I've also started using a Ketoconazol-shampoo about 2 months ago.

I focused the minoxidil on my hairline, the top of my head, and a little on my crown-area. I don't got pictures, but here's how my journey went:
1-2 month mark: I noticed little vellus hairs on my temple. Right widowspeak receding alot.
3-4 month mark: The shedding stopped. Right widowspeak still receding, middle of hairline too.
5-6 month mark: Vellus hairs seem to be gone. Leftside also formed a widowspeak. My hairline has gone from straight-ish to a V, and really decreased thickness in the middle(when I apply minoxidil it looks like I have a massive baldspot). I'm also losing lots of thickness on the top of my head(middle parting).

My hairline went from a Norwood 2 to a Norwood 3.5 in a matter of 6 months, is this because of minoxidil, or an aggressive form of male pattern baldness? I really don't know where to go from here, I thought male pattern baldness worked by slowly killing of your hairs making them weaker, not instantly killing thick terminal hairs leaving baldness. Plus before I got on Finasteride/Minoxidil, my hairline wasn't receding at a massive rate. Can it be that minoxidil killed those hairs?

Baldness runs in the family on my fathers side, but he didn't go bald until his thirties(and I'm in my earlytwenties)..

What do you think is causing this? Should I stay on the current regimen and bite through it, and hope that the regrowth is just delayed? From what I've read you should be seeing regrowth after 6 months..

Last edited:

Captain Rex

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yes, it did destroy my hairline, so i dropped minoxidil. I am using Finasteride now and it's doing good but i haven't recovered my destroyed hairline sadly.
Minoxidil thickened each and every hair on my scalp but destroyed the f*****g hairline. Don't ever focus Minoxidil on hairline, I learnt this the hard way. On the other hand, due to Finasteride the quality of hair is better somewhat more healthy and long which helps me cover my destroyed hairline (not entirely but...).
You should rather consider using Minoxidil Foam because i am thinking about doing so.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
sh*t I am in like the exact same situation as you, except I was on it way longer. Little family history of hair loss as well, with dad balding earliest of family I know of, at mid 30s, and I started at 20. When I first started on finasteride and minoxidil my dermatologist said I was a NW2, and now 2.5 years later I am like a NW3.5 as well. My hairline has gone to sh*t, and I honestly think minoxidil sped the process up big time. The only area I was using minoxidil was my hairline. My hairline is so messed up now, but my crown is still in tact. I am also thinning all over my scalp so it is possible that my male pattern baldness was just too aggressive and I was going to lose that hair anyway. If at 6 months though your hair is getting that much worse I would just drop the minoxidil.
I dropped minoxidil like 4 months ago and have had no shed like everyone talks about. I haven't regained any lost hair either though.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No. Your male pattern baldness is just progressing.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
If your hair is worse after 6 months on minoxidil then either you are a non responder and your baldness is continuing or you are having a rare alergic reaction and it's actually making your hair worse. Either way you should stop it. It actually says on the pack to stop after only 3 months if you haven't noticed regrowth. Many people are non responders.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Over 6 months ago I started shedding massively allover, at that point I already had a mild widow's peak and some frontal thinning, so I knew that it was a sign of me going bald - so I made an appointment with my doctor. He checked my blood(everything was OK, only thing was that my thyroid TSH was 1 point too high), and he got me on Finasteride. 6 days after that I also got on Minoxidil(1mg finasteride once daily, 5%minoxidil twice daily). I've also started using a Ketoconazol-shampoo about 2 months ago.

I focused the minoxidil on my hairline, the top of my head, and a little on my crown-area. I don't got pictures, but here's how my journey went:
1-2 month mark: I noticed little vellus hairs on my temple. Right widowspeak receding alot.
3-4 month mark: The shedding stopped. Right widowspeak still receding, middle of hairline too.
5-6 month mark: Vellus hairs seem to be gone. Leftside also formed a widowspeak. My hairline has gone from straight-ish to a V, and really decreased thickness in the middle(when I apply minoxidil it looks like I have a massive baldspot). I'm also losing lots of thickness on the top of my head(middle parting).

My hairline went from a Norwood 2 to a Norwood 3.5 in a matter of 6 months, is this because of minoxidil, or an aggressive form of male pattern baldness? I really don't know where to go from here, I thought male pattern baldness worked by slowly killing of your hairs making them weaker, not instantly killing thick terminal hairs leaving baldness. Plus before I got on Finasteride/Minoxidil, my hairline wasn't receding at a massive rate. Can it be that minoxidil killed those hairs?

Baldness runs in the family on my fathers side, but he didn't go bald until his thirties(and I'm in my earlytwenties)..

What do you think is causing this? Should I stay on the current regimen and bite through it, and hope that the regrowth is just delayed? From what I've read you should be seeing regrowth after 6 months..
I had the same thing happen too when I first started and eventually your hair cycles will sync to a point it will look fuller every 3 to 6 months and then you go thru sheds that make it look worse again. Minoxidil messes with your normal hair cycles. I have seen cases where people got worse before they got better but it took 6 months to a year to see it. Look at the cases like Somebody. He uses minoxidil and finsteride for many years now and his hair looks great. His hair loss was aggressive. I wish more people could chime in if they notice the typical rollercoaster sheds you get on hair treatments. Most people will say stick to minoxidil for at least 2 years. As long as your scalp is not showing an allergic reaction like redness, scaling and itching, you should be fine. The foam seems to be the most gentle to the scalp or PG free minoxidil.