is it possible that shedding became wore since propecia

Haim

Reaction score
Hello,

first of all, i would like to apologize for my bad english - im not british nor american.

my question is that;

for a month and a half im taking propecia. in the first 2 weeks of the treatment, i took 1/4 (0.25 mg) per day, later on i took 1 mg but every 2 dyes also for 2-2.5 weeks. right now im 3 weeks on 1 mg every day.

the problem is that in the last weeks (more or less close to the date i started with the treatment) my shedding became worse! its hard to tell if its because of the propecia, but im sure it started to get worse near the time i started to take the medication. every tiny touch in my head and in every shower, my hands get fill with a lot of hair !!

we have here a telephone number that you can call to and MSD doctors are answering questions regard the propecia. the doctor i talk with told me he heard stories like mine, but in generally it is not a known side effect of the drug.

so my question is that - what should i do? how will i know i the propecia is helping me? how will i know wan to give up? despite what the doctor told me, is it a known side affect of the drug?

Thanks

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-t ... /index.php

SHEDDING: Shedding is a sign that Propecia is working. Many men lose out on the benefits of Propecia by freaking out and dropping treatment when they think their hair is getting worse. When your follicles respond to Propecia, they shut down their current growth cycle and begin to create a new, healthier hair. The period is known as the shedding phase. It can begin during the first few months and last a month or so. Ride it out. That is all we can tell you. We all went through it, and those who persevere will see success.

Haim

Reaction score
MrBastard said:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-treatments/propecia/index.php

SHEDDING: Shedding is a sign that Propecia is working. Many men lose out on the benefits of Propecia by freaking out and dropping treatment when they think their hair is getting worse. When your follicles respond to Propecia, they shut down their current growth cycle and begin to create a new, healthier hair. The period is known as the shedding phase. It can begin during the first few months and last a month or so. Ride it out. That is all we can tell you. We all went through it, and those who persevere will see success.

Hi,

its weird and im afraid that ill make more damage than good. on the one hand i don't want to stop the treatment, and on the other hand im afraid to cause more and more damage as long ill take the medicine

moreover, it dont seems like its stopping!

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well. You can stop now and lose the benefits of a potential good shed making the lost hairs stronger. Or you can ride it out and your hair may improve or stay the same, halting the hairloss.
Or the finasteride shocked your body with the hormone changes so its a Telogen Effluvium loss wich will gow back eventually, possibly stronger if your a good responder. Or you stop and the Telogen Effluvium loss will come back but your hairloss will progress as it whould unthreadted.

Whoever you choose the odds are in your favour for better/maintainging hairwise.
Personally i dont like finasteride for the hormone changes it do. The lack of DHT and improved estrogen hurt you more than you imagine...

Haim

Reaction score
MrBastard said:
Well. You can stop now and lose the benefits of a potential good shed making the lost hairs stronger. Or you can ride it out and your hair may improve or stay the same, halting the hairloss.
Or the finasteride shocked your body with the hormone changes so its a Telogen Effluvium loss wich will gow back eventually, possibly stronger if your a good responder. Or you stop and the Telogen Effluvium loss will come back but your hairloss will progress as it whould unthreadted.

Whoever you choose the odds are in your favour for better/maintainging hairwise.
Personally i dont like finasteride for the hormone changes it do. The lack of DHT and improved estrogen hurt you more than you imagine...

Hi,

thank you. im sure the finasteride is "poison" and the method of taking a drug on a daily bases in not the best way to treat your body... but im a student, in the middle of my studies at law school and i wish at least just to finish school with hair on my head.

i don't know if finasteride made me depressed or the fact that im out of the blue (my father is 60 years old and has a beautiful hair), became a "bolder" is what made me depressed. all i know is that what will make my life get back on track is to know that at least until i finish my studies - ill have hair on my head.

to be true, i don't like the fact that im taking this drug, im sure its bad for me and for my body. but its the only thing (in case it will work for my) that can make my life back to normal after i discovered the balding issue, and ironically is was hoping in the beginning to not be affected by side affects, now im praying the damn drug to work...

so... you think i need to give it more time?

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I was taking finasteride for around 6 - 7 months! It was going ok from when I started in June, but the density of my hairline decreased dramtically. I eventually stopped the drug in January and my hair was ok, however a month after I had a haircut and I discovered my the densisty of my hair has decreased across my entire scalp!! Can somone tell me why finasteride did this? I'm still looking for answers and debating whetheror not to get back on the drug... I mean 7 months is a long time, surely the qaulity of your hair should have impoved by then. I was taking 1.75mg if that helps. Somone please help as I am only 18 :(