Is it possible to NOT have to shave your head for a FUE transplant?

Donny J

Established Member
Reaction score
I wear my hair a couple inches long (2-3), but I fear that if I were to undergo a procedure, that I would a.) look like a lob-sided-penis-head, and b.) everyone would know what I've done.

Is there anybody who effectively can do FUE transplants w/o the need to shave your head? In particular, I have a good amount of diffusing in my front area -- so, this wouldn't be just adding to a place where there's currently no hair at all (ex: temples).

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
they only have to shave the donor area to a "1" length buzz. You can get a hairstyle where the hair is short on the sides and long on top, ask them to blend if for you.

kirk

Established Member
Reaction score
I took this from Dr. Cole's (Atlanta) website. 'CIT' means FUE. Hope it helps.

If you are to have a STRIP procedure or shaven patches CIT procedure, it is best to leave your hair long in the back and sides so that it will cover the area of extraction after your procedure. Your donor area will be shaved with below a #1 clipper at the surgery center if you are having a CIT procedure – shaven method. If you are having an CIT –shaven patches method – it is best to let the hair grow out to 3-6 inches long to cover the shaven ‘patches’ where the FU’s are extracted from.

Donny J

Established Member
Reaction score
they only have to shave the donor area to a "1" length buzz. You can get a hairstyle where the hair is short on the sides and long on top, ask them to blend if for you.

I took this from Dr. Cole's (Atlanta) website. 'CIT' means FUE. Hope it helps.

If you are to have a STRIP procedure or shaven patches CIT procedure, it is best to leave your hair long in the back and sides so that it will cover the area of extraction after your procedure. Your donor area will be shaved with below a #1 clipper at the surgery center if you are having a CIT procedure – shaven method. If you are having an CIT –shaven patches method – it is best to let the hair grow out to 3-6 inches long to cover the shaven ‘patches’ where the FU’s are extracted from.
i understand the need to buzz the donor area, as mentioned by both of your posts, but I'm moreso curious in regards to the transplanted region. I wouldn't have a problem shaving the back/sides of my head, as i have a longer fade going on right now, and it would be easy to pass that off as me just getting a shorter lengthed fade post-procedure. As far as the transplanted area goes though, zzzzz, you say that it can be left long? why is it that all of the post-op photos i've seen have the patient being fully shaven? I would assume that if it wasn't circumstantial, then most people would opt not to shave their entire head, no? -- i'm trying to understand those circumstances and am wondering if it's dependent on whether you're correcting diffused thinning, or not??

Agahi

Established Member
Reaction score
I think doctors who are willing to do it being more expensive is the reason you dont see it more.

Donny J

Established Member
Reaction score
hmm.. I'm going to reach out to Shapiro Medical Group to see what they have to say. I've been in some discussions with them in the past, and would be interested to see if they offer any options.