Is it really a lifelong committment?

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking long term about this whole hairloss thing, and the conclusion that I've come to is that unless I get a hair transplant or some miracle drug comes out, I am going to lose all of my hair.

I think the best I can do with my regimen is prolong the inevitable by 5-10 years.

After a certain point, I will have lost enough hair where it just doesn't matter anymore, and I'll shave it all off.

When this happens, it's pretty much pointless to continue my regimen, so I'll give it up.

Maybe by then I'll have enough money for a hair transplant, or I'll be mature enough where I can face the world with a bald head with confidence, blinding people with the gleam off my scalp.

Or, will current medications work indefinitely? What's the longest any of you have been on your regimen?

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is a life long commited but hair transplanet will not fix the problem. You may loss your hair in 5 years or you will have it until your 60. It all demand on your DNA. Just hope your on the long end of the feild.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
TortoiseAndHair said:
I've been thinking long term about this whole hairloss thing, and the conclusion that I've come to is that unless I get a hair transplant or some miracle drug comes out, I am going to lose all of my hair.

I think the best I can do with my regimen is prolong the inevitable by 5-10 years.

Rubbish. I don't know the specifics of your own hairloss history, but in general I think the earlier you start Propecia, the more likely it is that you'll avoid male pattern baldness altogether. Starting finasteride BEFORE you begin balding is considerably better than starting it AFTER. And I'm sure that starting it prior to puberty would be best of all, and would be a permanent solution to the problem!! :wink:

Bryan

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, good to hear. I was just looking at the graphs that come with my bottles of propecia, and I noticed that the graph for the guys who stayed on propecia is still going down.

Granted, after 5 years, they are still above baseline, but they're getting closer each year. I was just wondering if after another 5 years they might be below baseline, and in another 5, maybe they are so far below baseline that it's no longer worth continuing treatment.

Also, seeing how my dad is completely bald, I have a feeling that I'm going to end up like that eventually.

Anyway, only way to know for sure is to just keep on with the treatment and see how it goes...

G

TortoiseAndHair said:
OK, good to hear. I was just looking at the graphs that come with my bottles of propecia, and I noticed that the graph for the guys who stayed on propecia is still going down.

Granted, after 5 years, they are still above baseline, but they're getting closer each year. I was just wondering if after another 5 years they might be below baseline, and in another 5, maybe they are so far below baseline that it's no longer worth continuing treatment.

Also, seeing how my dad is completely bald, I have a feeling that I'm going to end up like that eventually.

Anyway, only way to know for sure is to just keep on with the treatment and see how it goes...

Know matter what you take you will always suffer from hair loss in your life. You get the odd few who don't though.

If you can hold it off until your mid 40's maybe then you can see that as a job well done. I'm 36 in November and I'm pretty much satisfied at the moment. A nocticed a little loss on the right temple but i just hope that's a shedding that occured and that it will grow back.

wastingpenguins

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, seriously. I just turned 18, for christ's sake. :)

keeping my hair for another 5-10 years would be a dream come true. Hell, I'd be okay with another 3-4 years.

Thinneritgoes!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
so i'm 19 and currently on propecia and nizoral. I have a receding hairline and thinning on top although hair is still fairily thick.
What are my chances of keeping my hair and how long?
What a sad thing this is... :cry:

need_hair04

Reaction score
From the studies of propecia, the graph does indeed show a gradual decline in hair from the peak results that were established at year 2 HOWEVER as the years progress towards 4 and 5 the loss (which is still above baseline) begins to go down at a much slower rate POSSIBLY hitting an equilibrium at some point in the 7 - 8 year mark.

In the basic sense the NEW hair that was regrown above baseline may only by gradually declining only because these were no longer permanent terminal hairs which one would start with when starting propecia!! The permamanent hairs that have been growing since the beginning of treatment may be more resistable to DHT and its affects.

In the end I believe that keeping the regrown hair is VERY possible for a long time, but keeping the hair you started with should be extremely long such as 20+ years of continued treatment. The only question now would be the long term effects of using finasteride for such a long period of time!!

wastingpenguins

Established Member
Reaction score
Haha. Hairloss is such a crazy topic.

Everywhere you go, someone tells you something different.

You can read a thousand desperate posts about how finasteride is no help, and then click to a different forum and have people saying that it will allow you to maintain your hair for ten or twenty years.

No wonder people suffering from this go nuts. :lol:

Axon

Reaction score
wastingpenguins said:
Haha. Hairloss is such a crazy topic.

Everywhere you go, someone tells you something different.

You can read a thousand desperate posts about how finasteride is no help, and then click to a different forum and have people saying that it will allow you to maintain your hair for ten or twenty years.

No wonder people suffering from this go nuts. :lol:

Because the fact is, there is no definitive answer. We don't know what causes Male Pattern hair loss.

But when you get on the internet, you deal with unfiltered ego. No one has to accept any consequence for anything they say, so all sorts of misinformation gets passed around.

I subscribe to the John Gabriel internet fuckwad theory:

Greenboard.jpg

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
need_hair04 said:
From the studies of propecia, the graph does indeed show a gradual decline in hair from the peak results that were established at year 2 HOWEVER as the years progress towards 4 and 5 the loss (which is still above baseline) begins to go down at a much slower rate POSSIBLY hitting an equilibrium at some point in the 7 - 8 year mark.

In the basic sense the NEW hair that was regrown above baseline may only by gradually declining only because these were no longer permanent terminal hairs which one would start with when starting propecia!! The permamanent hairs that have been growing since the beginning of treatment may be more resistable to DHT and its affects.

In the end I believe that keeping the regrown hair is VERY possible for a long time, but keeping the hair you started with should be extremely long such as 20+ years of continued treatment. The only question now would be the long term effects of using finasteride for such a long period of time!!

Sweet!
I have decided to make it my personal policy to only listen to those who tell me what I want to hear.

Shitcock!

need_hair04

Reaction score
You've obviously realized that I was completely bullshittin that entire thing, but its nice too hear some kinda FAKE hope!! :lol:
For me I dont care cause I dont even use propecia anymore I QUIT..... But ya never know that sh*t MIGHT be true! :roll: