Is it strange to morn someone I knew only online?

CCS

Reaction score
A very important poster on an aircraft forum was always making experimental ultralight airplanes and reporting on a forum and answering our questions. He was a loved poster. He spent his retirement years doing what he loved. I planned to build my own ultralight, especially since no license is legally required. Other people told me that I should get a license anyway so I can fly more safely, and that I should build from a kit instead of from my own design. Well, I had not been on that forum in two years when I stumbled on a thread asking why Mark had not posted since 2010. The answer was he died in a crash in October, 2010. BTW, on that forum, people know each other's faces.

They then started looking over his airplane designs and getting news from witnesses, trying to figure out why he crashed. They figured that was what he would want us to do so it does not happen to us. The moderator, a very experienced engineer, then pointed out several design flaws, stuff that I did not know was a flaw. Just amazed me knowing someone much more experienced and educated than me could make those mistakes. His plane got 50 feet into the air and then lost lift and plunged into the ground.

Light planes are very dependent on wind speeds not suddenly changing. And when you are close to the ground, you don't have much time to react but are too close for the ballistic parachute to open in time.

I just felt very strange all of a sudden knowing he is dead. I don't know exactly what I was doing at the moment of his crash, except that I was about a hundred miles away and completely unaware of it until 2 years later, powerless to help him. Amazing how not only don't you know when you will die, you often don't even know who had died. R.I.P.

Martinez

Reaction score
No it's not strange at all. Even if other people do find it strange- so what! You're allowed to feel any way you want.

I think ulta-lights are for people with a death wish, but I can see that it must be quite a thrill. Hell of a price to pay for a thrill though.

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember when a kid from the first boards I read died around 2001. I never thought I would be affected by the loss of someone I basically just shared arguments and private messages over the internet.

Considering I hadn't even lost a close relative it wasn't that weird

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I am a member of few motorcycles forum.. There was that one guy that died ..ended up in a accident with his GF on the back of his bike..He died..she survived.. He took me a couple weeks to get over it without physically met him....

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I felt genuinely sad when I read about Bryan Shelton (online hairloss community stalwart since the late 90s) dying back in 2013 I think it was. I'm sure some of you older posters knew him.

I'd spent so many hours reading through his informed and insightful posts when my own hairloss journey began. From the alt.baldspot pages of the late 90s through to the forums we have today. I remember asking for his opinion on something because he just seemed like the oracle...not knowing that he had died a year previously.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Strange is the new normal. Sympathy for a virtual friend obviously demonstrates the caring person you are. I grieved when I read 'The Trail of Tears' the tragic story of the Nez Perce people (Nimiipuu), another great Native American tribe who suffered abominable abuse by the U.S. govt. approximately 150 years ago.

Roox

Reaction score
Its not weird at all, In this day and age you can make great friends and never meat them because they live on the other side of the world.