Is It Unethical To Transplant To A Norwood 1?

Obesecat

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello I am considering Hair Transplant. I have uneven Temple recession N2 on one side an N3 on the other. I have decided to go with Dr. Diep for FUE who is able to restore my hairline to between a N1-N1.5. I had several consolations and other 2 docs: Robert Leonard of MA and a Bosley Doctor. Both said the hairline Diep is suggesting is unethical. 1800-2000 grafts suggested by Diep fyi

I understand the argument of accounting for future recession finite donor area ect.'But honestly i think it is just a matter of the patients making an informed decision after weighing the risks/benefits. I honestly think that other doctors refusing to transplant N2 or light N3's temple areas, is more of an issue with surgical skill and high patient expectations rather than ethics.

My personal reasoning is this. I have a huge forehead. Any recession even 7 years ago when i was an N1.5 on one side N2 on the other makes my Forehead Look GIGANTIC and gets noticed. It is often suggested to me that i just shave my head.

Personally, i would like to have a more youthful look for as long as i can. I am mistaken as being significantly older then i am. I do not consider N2 on me to be youthful because of my forehead I accept having to shave my head at a later date.

Would like your opinions on my thinking. I use the Big 3 and RU.

ANY BITTER N6'S WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW THEY WOULD LOVE TO BE IN MY SITUATION WILL HAVE THEIR COMMENTS DELETED.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
What is your age?

Obesecat

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is your age?

Does it matter in regards to how you would answer the question?

I want to avoid these answers - If im younger "your too young for a hair transplant". If im older - "An N2-3 is fine/appropriate for your age."

Honestly its about improving my overall facial ascetics regarding getting a lower forehead. Rather then whats appropriate or normal.

Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Does it matter in regards to how you would answer the question?

I want to avoid these answers - If im younger "your too young for a hair transplant". If im older - "An N2-3 is fine/appropriate for your age."

Honestly its about improving my overall facial ascetics.
Don't assume that was where I was going with my question. Actually, you may be surprised of how I was going to answer your question. You are asking for advice yet fortune telling what type of responses you will get without being open. I hope you get more responses with that approach.

Obesecat

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Without photos it is impossible to say.

Its not really about my personal situation per say. I was told by all doctors that my hair was incredibly thick. Its more about ethics. Is it unreasonable to transplant someone to a N1 provided you explain the risks and have the patient make an informed decision. I hear alot of Docs talk about "age appropriate" and "ethical issues" with restoring someones hairline. I also hear Docs say they cannot restore the temple area for the same reasons. Honestly, i see some people who take a "conservative approach" to an hair transplant and after all that they still look like they are balding. In my person opinion, its better just to shave it off.

And again I feel its more about a surgeons ability/ higher patient expectations than either ethics or age appropriateness. Wanted to get others opinions but no one wants to share.

An example of a conservative approach is https://www.hairdr.com/gallery/follicular-unit-extraction-fue/patient-5 I really dont think this person looks much better and is still clearly balding.

Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Sorry that may have come off more rude then i intended. I post occasionally and those tend to be the responses i get. I'm 26 btw. Hair is thick just front recession. As i said i have a very large/high forehead and lopsided look b/c of unevenness. So even an N2 recession gets noticed. Been on Propecia for a few years no additional hair loss.
Thanks for being understanding. To answer your question, I am in the same boat as you but I am about twice your age. I got quoted by three different extremely ethical top FUE doctors with the exact same number of grafts almost close to yours. I was quoted 1800 grafts exactly by all three doctors and my Norwood level is close to a NW2. My goal is to lower my hairline and thicken up my existing hairline as I have a large/high forehead too. Of course, almost everyone I showed my situation said I really don't need one. Yet, like you, I don't like my high forehead.

Obesecat

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for being understanding. To answer your question, I am in the same boat as you but I am about twice your age. I got quoted by three different extremely ethical top FUE doctors with the exact same number of grafts almost close to yours. I was quoted 1800 grafts exactly by all three doctors and my Norwood level is close to a NW2. My goal is to lower my hairline and thicken up my existing hairline as I have a large/high forehead too. Of course, almost everyone I showed my situation said I really don't need one. Yet, like you, I don't like my high forehead.

I would say go for it. If you're almost twice my age and only a N2 you really dont need to worry about much future loss. I think its BS when docs say "age appropriate." Norwood 1's look better on men of any age. Jensen Ankles, Brad Pitt, and George Clooney are good examples of men past 35 who look amazing because they have N1's.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I would say go for it. If you're almost twice my age and only a N2 you really dont need to worry about much future loss. I think its BS when docs say "age appropriate." Norwood 1's look better on men of any age. Jensen Ankles, Brad Pitt, and George Clooney are good examples of men past 35 who look amazing because they have N1's.
I agree. Because of my hair now, people think I am alot younger than I am. Actually, I have been told I have George Clooney hair( my hair is not gray because I color it) by various people in my life. In regards to your situation, your quote is accurate and ethical. I would go for it too.

I think Jensen Ackel's hair is amazing but there are rumors he wears a partial. I have see some episodes of Supernatural where you can see some obvious crown thinning. Also the other actor on there who plays Castiel definitely wears a partial too. You can tell in old episodes. Brad Pitt was photographed recently with his hair not colored fully and you can tell he finally started to slowly recede and thin. I just saw a friend of mine who has a Zayn Malik hairline still and he in his 60's now. He literally is a 2 finger forehead still. I teased him that he has no forehead but he looks so young because of it. People always thought he was wearing a wig.

Obesecat

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Who made you Mod :p

I agree though, those comments annoy me too as every situation is individual. But if anything, those bitter comments summarise how hard it can be to lose hair and be stuck.

In regards to your question. Firstly, congratulations on choosing Dr Diep. He's extremely good and ethical. The other surgeons are probably butt hurt as they can't achieve what he can with the same grafts. It's completely fine to choose what hairline you like but also depends on finasteride usage and availability of donor hair, if $hit hits the fan.

See my avvy. I had that transplant at 30, about 15 months. It can be done no problem and if it makes you feel great, go for it. One thing I always aside from recession, was an uneven slightly thinning hairline. Rest of my hair was in great shape and the front felt like an aberration and limiting factor for styling. Nothing beats a robust thick symmetrical front hairline to complement the rest. Even with finasteride, since most male pattern baldness sufferers have OTT sensitive frontal areas, it simply will be difficult to maintain that region close to perfection. Unlike the rest of the hair which can be easily maintained.

Dying it regularly over the years can lead to diffuse thinning unfortunately. If you look at older women who always dyed their hair, it looks a little diffuse. I understand why you do it Doctor, but with a thyroid issue, age related thinning, male pattern baldness, plus adding in hair dye = tough on follicles.

What Does OTT mean? I know about DHT but i have not heard of OTT.

Obesecat

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree. Because of my hair now, people think I am alot younger than I am. Actually, I have been told I have George Clooney hair( my hair is not gray because I color it) by various people in my life. In regards to your situation, your quote is accurate and ethical. I would go for it too.

I think Jensen Ackel's hair is amazing but there are rumors he wears a partial. I have see some episodes of Supernatural where you can see some obvious crown thinning. Also the other actor on there who plays Castiel definitely wears a partial too. You can tell in old episodes. Brad Pitt was photographed recently with his hair not colored fully and you can tell he finally started to slowly recede and thin. I just saw a friend of mine who has a Zayn Malik hairline still and he in his 60's now. He literally is a 2 finger forehead still. I teased him that he has no forehead but he looks so young because of it. People always thought he was wearing a wig.

I had no idea about Ackel's. I know Jared had definitely receded over the years. I was never too big a fan of Misha/Castiel's hair so i never really noticed. Your friends really lucky. I sometimes see people like your friend. 60+, married, an kids grown look like they are in their 40's bc of their hair. I always think; damn, God, they dont need it, give it to me.

It funny you being an N2 and mistaken for being younger. With my age its the opposite, but that could also be because of the uneven recession. I am often mistaken for someone in my early-mid 30s

Last edited:

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
i am also wondering this .
i wan't to have a Norwood 1 hairline transplant to rebuild my hairline and my temple point , but my loss is not stabilized

Obesecat

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i am also wondering this .
i wan't to have a Norwood 1 hairline transplant to rebuild my hairline and my temple point , but my loss is not stabilized

Are you on Finasteride? Also what’s your age? Personally I think that unless you’re on finasteride and your losses stabilized you’re just throwing your money down the toilet.

Also if you’re a young guy teens early 20s you need to decide whether having hair now is worth not having hair in the future. I have no bias whatever you decide.

As someone approaching 30 let me tell you hair still matters. So does dating. So don’t think You’re fine once you reach 30 and are bald.

It also depends on your facial aesthetics. As I mentioned I have a huge four head so even to Norwood 2 looks really bad.

My advice would be to wait until your loss stabilized. Also speak to several hair loss doctors. Both ones that do aggressive restoration such as Dr. diep And ones that do conservative restoration such as Dr. Leonard. Whatever you decide to do, do your research and make an informed decision.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Who made you Mod :p

I agree though, those comments annoy me too as every situation is individual. But if anything, those bitter comments summarise how hard it can be to lose hair and be stuck.

In regards to your question. Firstly, congratulations on choosing Dr Diep. He's extremely good and ethical. The other surgeons are probably butt hurt as they can't achieve what he can with the same grafts. It's completely fine to choose what hairline you like but also depends on finasteride usage and availability of donor hair, if $hit hits the fan.

See my avvy. I had that transplant at 30, about 15 months. It can be done no problem and if it makes you feel great, go for it. One thing I always aside from recession, was an uneven slightly thinning hairline. Rest of my hair was in great shape and the front felt like an aberration and limiting factor for styling. Nothing beats a robust thick symmetrical front hairline to complement the rest. Even with finasteride, since most male pattern baldness sufferers have OTT sensitive frontal areas, it simply will be difficult to maintain that region close to perfection. Unlike the rest of the hair which can be easily maintained.

Dying it regularly over the years can lead to diffuse thinning unfortunately. If you look at older women who always dyed their hair, it looks a little diffuse. I understand why you do it Doctor, but with a thyroid issue, age related thinning, male pattern baldness, plus adding in hair dye = tough on follicles.
Thanks for your concern but my hair stylist told me as long as I keep just coloring gray roots and use a very gentle coloring process like Paul Mitchell, it will not harm my hair. Actually, my hair is getting much healthier now with using Lipogaine Big 5 shampoo. It's got some great ingredients in it. I am also doing well with the Lipogaine sensitive scalp minoxidil.