Is it worth it to try minoxidil?

aceman626

Reaction score
I am about to try minoxidil for the first time, and will be my first attempt at doing something for my hair. I refuse to try finasteride/propecia since I do not want to mess with hormones - I'd rather be bald or get a transplant.

With that said, all the doctors told me it is best to go on minoxidil as soon as possible, and that there are very little side effects. They said if you stop and you shed, that's the hair that you would've shed anyway if you didn't use minoxidil. So why is it that I keep hearing crazy horror stories on forums - is it just because the people with good results don't post much (self selection)? Also, nobody here uses minoxidil alone? How come?

Anyway, what do you guys think - are the potential benefits of minoxidil worth it vs the potential side effects and dependency?

Thanks.

greg711711

Reaction score
There really are no side effects to minoxidil. You will probably just shed, which means that its likely working. The general rule of thumb with minoxidil is 1/3 of men get no benefit from it, 1/3 men halt/slow their loss, and 1/3 of men get regrowth. Definitely worth a shot

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
There really are no side effects to minoxidil

This isn't true. There are countless stories of people reporting face bloating, swelling, bags under their eyes, chest pains, irregular heartbeat, headaches etc. These are all listed as side effects online as well.

Having said that most of these side effects are rare and nothing serious that won't resolve itself upon discontinuation. I'm considering minoxidil but like the OP my biggest concern is that it will make my hair worse. Even the wikipedia page says "can exacerbate hairloss in some users". Endless threads of people saying it ate their hairline, none-stop shedding etc. I would say the rule of thumb is closer to 33% get slight regrowth, 33% get maintenance, 33% are worse off for trying it. I guess there's only one way to find out. According to that wikipedia page there's actually studies being conducted which will provide a way of knowing beforehand whether you will respond well to the treatment. If only they could get that for Propecia too!

greg711711

Reaction score
This isn't true. There are countless stories of people reporting face bloating, swelling, bags under their eyes, chest pains, irregular heartbeat, headaches etc. These are all listed as side effects online as well.

Having said that most of these side effects are rare and nothing serious that won't resolve itself upon discontinuation. I'm considering minoxidil but like the OP my biggest concern is that it will make my hair worse. Even the wikipedia page says "can exacerbate hairloss in some users". Endless threads of people saying it ate their hairline, none-stop shedding etc. I would say the rule of thumb is closer to 33% get slight regrowth, 33% get maintenance, 33% are worse off for trying it. I guess there's only one way to find out. According to that wikipedia page there's actually studies being conducted which will provide a way of knowing beforehand whether you will respond well to the treatment. If only they could get that for Propecia too!

Interesting I've never heard people say they're worse off for trying. I have pretty much tried everything in the book (finasteride, dutasteride, RU, minoxidil, LLT, nizoral) and still continued to lose ground. I never thought the minoxidil was the problem though. Might do a little experiment and take a break from it for a while

beany007

Reaction score
i am using 5% minoxidil at the moment and almost 70% of the time, within 5-6 minutes i get a mild headache that lasts about an hour. but other than that i haven't had any side effect. I also use finasteride and just recently came back from a hair transplant in Malaga.
i am coming to the end of the first month on minoxidil and as the sides are minimal i will get 6 months supply next.

marcos72

Reaction score
Same here! I'm thinking about starting with minoxidil but even though some people get great results I've heard about this skin and dark circles problems, aging skin, headaches
Any recommendation?

joerazor

Reaction score
minoxidil is a temporary solution... It will either stop or regrow your hair after a few months (depending on how your body reacts to it), but once you stop it, you shed it all!!

Just my personal experience.

PotatoHairLoss

Reaction score
Been using Minoxidil for about 3 years now

Same here! I'm thinking about starting with minoxidil but even though some people get great results I've heard about this skin and dark circles problems, aging skin, headaches
Any recommendation?

Unfortunately , I started losing my hair when I was in my 20s since then visited a local skin centre and was recommended on using Minoxidil 5 % ( minoxidil 5-Trima ) .
Currently, I have pretty bad dark eye circles and puffiness but most of it would probably be attributed to my constant lack of sleep and nocturnal sleep cycle . (School,Work,Stress)
So, I think there are many claims on having various side effects caused by Minoxidil but you can never really find out till to try it out.

As for my case, I'm pretty sure dark eye circles and puffiness are caused by my poor lifestyle.

Hope this helps!

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Then don't stop? Everyone knows minoxidil needs to be continuous, so I don't get this post lol

Same, I don't understand the logic unless there was some serious sides, but those would be apparent long before realising hair loss has stopped or re-growth has kicked in.

Of course it's possible to shed back quickly what you should have lost while you were min.

DrDog

Reaction score
Just be aware you're going to have to put it on every morning and everyday, forever. It's a pain in the ***, but in my opinion totally worth it. Creates a lot of regrowth. Good luck!

SadinOregon

Reaction score
I put the Foam on ONE week. Worst mistake ever. Literally destroyed my hairline. Just stopped it. Heard lots of horror stories of people continuing kept falling out. I jsut want my original Tuff I had before this and praying it will come back.

testingit

Reaction score
I would say some of the side effects of finasteride are, in my opinion, overblown so don't be too scared of it. If you aren't using a 5AR inhibitor like Finistride (or dutasteride/Avodart if needed), then you may see limited or more temporary results.

[ not a doctor or medical professional so don't take me seriously ]

TheOneCalledSam

Reaction score
I'd say it's definitely worth it. I've been on it for 1.5 years, and have seen some regrowth. Nothing major, but some thickening and new hairs where I've applied it.

As for side effects, I personally haven't experienced any. Also, I've never really shed while using it. Either that, or I didn't notice it.