Is life in the suburbs a slow death?

GeminiX

Reaction score
I live in the suburbs over the weekend, but usually commute to the city for a few days mid week (I work from home Fri/Mon), it's a really nice balance that works well for me :)

s.a.f

Reaction score
Cassin said:
make a living there and get out is my plan

Strangely that plan is the exact opposite of most city dwellers.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I went from the suburbs, then lived in the city for 8 years, and now back out into the suburbs.

Pros and cons to each, but I prefer the suburbs. It's nice to be able to walk out of a 7-11 and not constantly have panhandlers ask you for change.

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I feel as if the city is suitable for singles, while suburbs for the married with kids...

i lived in the city all my life tho, and probably never leave, suburbs sounds too boring for my taste :/

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
I live in the suburbs, some ~16km from the central part of the city and i don't like it, but i can put up with it. Ideally i'd like to live in an inner city suburb, i think that's where you can get a good balance.

I actually hate the one i'm in now..the part of the suburb i'm in is sort of separated from the rest of it. There's a busy road on one side (and factories from there onwards) and a crappy road on the other that cuts through some semi-bushland (guarded by some nasty magpies) which then leads to the rest of the suburb...what also sucks is i can't really ride my bike around the way i could in my previous suburb.

Which city do you live in aussieavodart?

HughJass

Reaction score
Draco88 said:

The very isolated one, commonly referred to as the world's biggest country town.

Certainly not the worst place in the world to live, but it's got nothing on the east!

HughJass

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
I went from the suburbs, then lived in the city for 8 years, and now back out into the suburbs.

Pros and cons to each, but I prefer the suburbs. It's nice to be able to walk out of a 7-11 and not constantly have panhandlers ask you for change.

I had an inner-city living friend who used to haggle with beggers whenever they bothered him for coin. They'd usually give up and leave him alone once he'd got them down to about 1/3 of their original asking price.

Cruel perhaps, but very funny.

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
Draco88 said:

The very isolated one, commonly referred to as the world's biggest country town.

Certainly not the worst place in the world to live, but it's got nothing on the east!
I think i'd only want to live in Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne. Although not really keen on Sydney.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
Ten ways you are stealth taxed in the Suburb’s

1. Organized Youth Sports- Drive to the city, where urban youth play better, run faster and love the sports they play, without adult intervention. Now, go to your volleyball, soccer and basketball “competitive†practices and watch the “coaches†drive out in sports cars. Your kid needs all that coaching to get an “edge†right? Opps, you got crushed by the urban kids again! Well, they don’t do any homework! Still, if I pay 10 to 20 times as much as the local rec center coach/PAL coach, my little Johnny will be a champ and get a scholarship, right!? Oh, your giving it to the urban kid?
2. Red Light Camera’s- You’re rushing to work, bing! Gotcha! The city needs the revenue, after all, who will pay the city planner’s/managers $ 250,000 per year retirement package? Let alone all those police and fireman. Oh, but those fireman do a dangerous job. Really?
3. Developers-This city needs growth! You’ve lived here 10-20 years? Oh well, your home values will just have to go down to accommodate the new housing development, with the mandatory section 8 housing.
4. School donations- Your school doesn’t have enough money, better write a check in for math, music and science programs! Don’t worry about PE, that’s covered in number 1, you’re already spending $300 to $3000 per sport. Just make sure to sign up to do the homework and be a house mom, or little Johnny might get bad marks for, well, anything we can drum up.
5. Parks and Rec- Want to use them- better schedule your time and pay the fees. You thought you already paid the fees in your taxes? No, that’s just the fee for them to exist, not for you to use them- see Number 1 again, chump.
6. Keeping up with the Jones- need I say more?
7. Speed Traps- Why, exactly, is there a 40 mph sign and a 45 mph sign within 3 city blocks?
8. Paranoia- Your child should go anywhere unattended. Someone’s going to grab her or him! Pick him up and drop him or her off everywhere, even though you came out here to be safe.
9. Gas, food and Restaurants- Everything costs a little more here, and it all adds up. Hey, but it’s a value added service, right? Except you’re not the one getting the value.
10. City planners- want a new deck, or damn near any home improvement, pay up! And we can’t tell you what it will cost before you get started, we’re too busy. We will gladly send you a bill, outlining the fee’s once the work is in process, though.