Is Microneedling Used Alone Effective And Best Dermarollers?

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have two questions related to microneedling:

I've been going through PubMed and found some studies showing the efficacy of microneedling, but all studies I've seen combine microneedling with Minoxidil. Are there any studies that have tested the efficacy of microneedling when used alone?

Are you aware of any research testing different types of dermarollers (different needle length) and different rolling schedules (how often, how long etc.) to see what works best? I'll take anecdotal evidence, too?

ruffledfeathers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have two questions related to microneedling:

I've been going through PubMed and found some studies showing the efficacy of microneedling, but all studies I've seen combine microneedling with Minoxidil. Are there any studies that have tested the efficacy of microneedling when used alone?

Are you aware of any research testing different types of dermarollers (different needle length) and different rolling schedules (how often, how long etc.) to see what works best? I'll take anecdotal evidence, too?
There are studies. Most of them are weak though. It seems that (needling + minoxidil) > needling > minoxidil. I've been needling alone for about 2 months now with no topicals and if anything my hair has gotten worse. I would advise you looking into the needling + PGE2/PGD2 approach. Seems to be some better science behind that.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look into that.

When you say "there are studies" is that in reference to #1 or #2? Do you per chance have links to any?

How often do you needle and what length needle?

Is 2 months long enough to see results? I can't remember how soon results showed in the studies I read.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've heard the rationale (albeit from a well read youtuber, not read it in a research paper) that you need to allow a repair period, because the mechanism of needling is wounding, which starts the repair process, which mobilizes collagen or something like that, which is what stimulates the hair to grow. I can't remember the exact time frames, but I believe he was saying like at 1,5mm allow at least 3 weeks or longer between sessions. Perhaps you were needling too frequently.

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hard to say. There were definetely some people who got results from needling alone, but also plenty of people who didnt. The problem really is finding which method of needling is best for regrowth. But the data is so spread out and random theres no way to pin-point it to one way of doing it.