Is Minoxidil Post Surgery Really As Bad As Erdogan Makes Out?

codswallop

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am having a transplant with Erdogan soon, and I have noticed in an email with all the details, I read:

"Minoxidil: We recommend that our patients avoid applying Minoxidil over the parts of the scalp that have been operated during a period of at least 4 months following the surgery. Minoxidil is a medication of limited efficacy, having amongst its possible side effects dermatitis, rash, hair loss and alterations over to the normal regrowth time following surgery."

This concerns me, as I have quit minoxidil once before and after a couple of months I went through a very severe shed which left my hair the worst it has ever been. But transplant doctors seem to have varying opinions, with some even saying that it helps post-op.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
"avoid applying Minoxidil over the parts of the scalp that have been operated"

Shouldn't that be easy though? Just avoid the specific areas of recipient with implants. If you're going down the transplant route its probably ideal to stop applying minoxidil in the hairline and just focus on the crown and midscalp anyway, the point is so you don't need minoxidil on that area anymore?

codswallop

My Regimen
Reaction score
"avoid applying Minoxidil over the parts of the scalp that have been operated"

Shouldn't that be easy though? Just avoid the specific areas of recipient with implants. If you're going down the transplant route its probably ideal to stop applying minoxidil in the hairline and just focus on the crown and midscalp anyway, the point is so you don't need minoxidil on that area anymore?
Ah, I think it's useful to mention I am getting thickening on top too for diffuse thinning. As you say, I won't be using it on my newly implanted temples, which were previously barren, but if I stop using it on top, it will probably look worse post op even with the new transplanted hair

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think erdogans advice is sound. First of all minoxidil can potentially work for a long time when coupled with antiandrogen treatment. Second, if ur a minoxidil responder you'll likely shed the hairs minoxidil was keeping in Ana gen phase. I'd research this more online and ask some other hair transplant docs.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am having a transplant with Erdogan soon, and I have noticed in an email with all the details, I read:

"Minoxidil: We recommend that our patients avoid applying Minoxidil over the parts of the scalp that have been operated during a period of at least 4 months following the surgery. Minoxidil is a medication of limited efficacy, having amongst its possible side effects dermatitis, rash, hair loss and alterations over to the normal regrowth time following surgery."

This concerns me, as I have quit minoxidil once before and after a couple of months I went through a very severe shed which left my hair the worst it has ever been. But transplant doctors seem to have varying opinions, with some even saying that it helps post-op.

Look, it won't hurt you. Might not help you either. But if your doctor is advising it, why not?