Is my hair cleansing regimine decent?

misterium

Reaction score
Hello fellas,

I was wondering if you think I am over-washing my hair:

I wake up and shower, using Nisim or Nizoral depending on the day. I don't condition.

I apply my minoxidil after showering, hair is still wet. Then I style with a gel.

When I get home from school late at night, I shower again and wash my hair with the same shampoos, then I condition with Folligen conditioner. Again I apply my minoxidil, and a spray of Folligen. Then I let it all dry and go to bed.

Does this washing regimine sound like overkill to you?

I'm not really sure if I should only be washing/conditioning once a day, instead of twice.

Any comments ?
:hairy:

misterium

Reaction score
Anybody?

I really don't know a way around shampooing twice daily, or if it's 'bad'...

I wear hair gel that makes my hair semi-stiff and it's nice to wash it out before bedtime, and in the morning to wash out the folligen and minoxidil.

I may want to start shampooing once a day, and then just rinsing before bed with no shampoo. Any comments?

misterium

Reaction score
Also, is it a good idea to condition after shampooing, once daily?

I hear so many things, that conditioning daily makes the follicles softer and allows for hair to fall out easier?

I dunno, but I need to get my regimine and cleansing schedule down properly. :(

misterium

Reaction score
I've read for various sources that it's fine to apply when hair is still semi-wet.

The water helps with absorbtion and also make the minoxidil seem to disperse easier on my scalp.

After about 10 minutes, I usually put my finger on the most thinnest part of my crown scalp, and then I will give my finger a little taste.. I always taste the minoxidil so I KNOW it's remaining on the areas and soaking into my scalp nicely :)

I just don't know if I should drop the minoxidil or not.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Does this washing regimine sound like overkill to you?

What are you hoping to accomplish washing your hair so frequently?

You understand all the damage that is done to your hair via DHT is done INSIDE the hair follicle cell where the DHT is formed right?

DHT on the scalp is insignificant in terms of hair loss.

What you want to do is make sure you use Nizoral 2% every other day to every third day. In between all you really need to do is use a mild shampoo (like baby shampoo) or a hair thickening shampoo (if you so desire).

Washing your hair as much as you are doing isnt doing jack for your hairloss....just wasting money on water and shampoo...

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
washing your hair twice a day is no biggy as long as it's not making your scalp excessivly dry.
Personally once a day is good for me now but when I was working out all the time I needed to shower twice.

BHD

G

I wash my hair twice a day

Once in the morning before appling minoxidil to wash off the stuff that has been on all night so the minoxidil is not impeded from the scalp.

Once in the evening before appling minoxidil to wash off the stuff that has been on all day so the minoxidil is not impeded from the scalp.

Those who wash their hair just once a day and apply minoxidil twice a day must apply one minoxidil application on top of old dried minoxidil and are probably not absorbing the second application fully.

Opinions please.

Ty

Petchsky

Reaction score
I don't know, im a lazy bastard and only wash my hair once every three days . I don't feel it impeads with the Minoxidil absorption. Sometimes though there is a build up in certain places on the scalp if you scratch your head, but not a general coverage of dried minoxidil. Plus my hair only seems to fall out while im washing it, so i'm rarely singing in the shower.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Mainly its just my opinion and personal experience. If it was a significant problem it would be stated on the bottle, maybe? When it comes to frequency of washing hair i think its whatever is best for the individual... some people's follicles excreate more oils than others leading to them washing their hair more often due to the greasyness.

Maybe its just the greb in you tynan? Repent your incessant hair washing ways.

G

Petchsky said:
Mainly its just my opinion and personal experience. If it was a significant problem it would be stated on the bottle, maybe? When it comes to frequency of washing hair i think its whatever is best for the individual... some people's follicles excreate more oils than others leading to them washing their hair more often due to the greasyness.

Maybe its just the greb in you tynan? Repent your incessant hair washing ways.

It is stated in the Rogaine Newsletter that it is advisable to wash your hair before appling UpJohns muck so their is no barrier between your scalp and the hair juice.

on the subject of clearing away all the crap so medications can get the where they want to be this is from Nutrogenas own mouth:

Mr Terrance Gel said:
3% Salicylic Acid

Indications :

Relieves symptoms associated with Hyperkeratosis due to Psoriasis and Seborrheic Dermatisis of the scalp. It primes the scalp for prescription Antifungals and other therapeutic modalities.

Features and Benefits : 

Ketoconazole has rapidly become the treatment of choice for scalp conditions such as Dandruff and Seborrheic Dermatitis , among many Dermatologists and other medical professionals. However, while patients with Hyperkeratotic scalp conditions are often encouraged to wash their hair daily, Ketaconzole is indicated for use only twice a week.

T/Sal Maximum Strength Shampoo contains 3% Salicylic Acid, primes the scalp for effective keratolitic therapy. As a first line treatment it reduces crusty scalp build – up with maximum Keratolitic Activity. So it is an ideal pretreatment for Ketoconazole and Co - therapy (Alternative days) with Tar Shampoos. Because it is fragrance free, colorant free and preservatives –free Shampoo, patients with sensitive scalps can drive the therapeutic benefits of Salicylic Acid without risk of irritation due to undesirable additives.

T/Sal Maximum Strength Shampoo is cosmetically elegant, with the conditioning shampoo base, which overcome the dryness and irritation that could accompany higher concentrations of Salicylic Acid. The result is effective therapy without having to sacrifice soft, manageable hair.

How to Use: 

Massage into wet scalp, leave on several minutes, rinse thoroughly and repeat.  

misterium

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna TRY and cut out the minoxidil from my regimine for awhile.. so I can see how I respond to the finasteride first... I'm using Folligen at nights instead of the minoxidil now. (It's only been a couple months on minoxidil for me anyway).. but I just don't want to overkill anything, even washing!

nikeaddict

Established Member
Reaction score
sounds good to me, i shower and use rogain in the morniing, then rogain at night. two showers it a lot but everything sounds good to me. i wouldnt stop using it cause you might have a bad shed.

misterium

Reaction score
I've dropped the minoxidil for now.. I don't think I'll have a bad shed cause I don't think any hairs have become dependent on it yet, it hasn't been too long since I started. Gonna let the Propecia work first and see how things go.

plus i think my Folligen spray at night should help keep the shedding and irritation down until my scalp is in better health, the Propecia may be causing minor irritation too... I can't tell yet I'm a newbie.