Is Taking Dutasteride 0.5mg Every 5 Days Better than Finasteride 1mg Daily?

pberm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride 1mg gives me side effects (extreme reduction in semen and complete loss of morning erections).

Dutasteride 0.5mg every 5 days does not give me significant side effects. I tried increasing to 0.5mg every 3-4 days (twice a week), but it caused severe dry eye (I already have dry eye, but it was controlled and worsened significantly with this regimen).

My question is: considering that studies indicate that the efficacy of 0.1mg of Dutasteride is similar to Finasteride 5mg, and considering the high half-life of Dutasteride 0.5mg (some suggest it is not the same as when taken daily and in a steady state, but there is at least a 3-5 day half-life with single doses), would this regimen (dutasteride 0.5mg E5D) be as effective or more effective than Finasteride 1mg daily? I would prefer not to go back to those side effects. They are tolerable, but my sex life is better without them.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride 1mg gives me side effects (extreme reduction in semen and complete loss of morning erections).

Dutasteride 0.5mg every 5 days does not give me significant side effects. I tried increasing to 0.5mg every 3-4 days (twice a week), but it caused severe dry eye (I already have dry eye, but it was controlled and worsened significantly with this regimen).

My question is: considering that studies indicate that the efficacy of 0.1mg of Dutasteride is similar to Finasteride 5mg, and considering the high half-life of Dutasteride 0.5mg (some suggest it is not the same as when taken daily and in a steady state, but there is at least a 3-5 day half-life with single doses), would this regimen (dutasteride 0.5mg E5D) be as effective or more effective than Finasteride 1mg daily? I would prefer not to go back to those side effects. They are tolerable, but my sex life is better without them.
Bro. Similar situation here. I sent you a private message.

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd say it would be just as effective. Give it a shot and good luck.