Is This A Normal Amount Of Shedding?

Brian Jones

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on Propecia, 1mg daily since April 2015....

This is the amount of hair I shed in the shower last night. I am curious if this is a normal amount of shedding considering I am growing my hair long, or if it's more indicative that Finasteride isn't working?

5761fc51eb.jpg

5762070220.jpg

And how long my hair is currently:
1cdf22995f.jpg

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Depends, how often are you showing/washing your hair? If that is from showering everyday that may be a little excessive (looks like 40ish strands of hair), however all of the hairs look pretty long and healthy. You said that you have been on Finasteride for over a year; have you always shed this much? I have been shedding quite a bit on treatments, however my hair still looks the same if not a little better since starting.

Brian Jones

My Regimen
Reaction score
Depends, how often are you showing/washing your hair? If that is from showering everyday that may be a little excessive (looks like 40ish strands of hair), however all of the hairs look pretty long and healthy. You said that you have been on Finasteride for over a year; have you always shed this much? I have been shedding quite a bit on treatments, however my hair still looks the same if not a little better since starting.

That was going one day without washing my hair - that was a day interval between shampooing. 40 hairs doesn't sound too bad - they say non-balding people lose around 125 daily. I was told that not shampooing while growing your hair helps it to grow faster, so sometimes I do go a week or so without shampooing. I would say yes, I've always shed the entire time on finasteride and my hairline seems to look relatively the same as when I first started. I just get worried.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
That was going one day without washing my hair - that was a day interval between shampooing. 40 hairs doesn't sound too bad - they say non-balding people lose around 125 daily. I was told that not shampooing while growing your hair helps it to grow faster, so sometimes I do go a week or so without shampooing. I would say yes, I've always shed the entire time on finasteride and my hairline seems to look relatively the same as when I first started. I just get worried.

Thats way too long to not wash hair in my opinion.