is this an example of a healthy shed?

nickp

Reaction score
for background, I have been using 5% minoxidil for about 4 years now with no other treatment. though I still lost hair during this period, I'm convinced that my treatment at least slowed down the rate of loss.

a few months ago, however, I found this site and learned about the 'big 3' and decided to add spironolactone and Nizoral to my treatment. I know that the effectiveness of these aren't widely agreed upon, however, I would say that within a couple of weeks, I noticed that I was hardly losing any hair. then a couple of weeks ago (after about 2 and a half months of this routine), I noticed that I have started to lose hair again.

however, I noticed that the types of hairs that are falling out are a lot shorter and thinner than the overall length of my hair on top. I haven't gotten a haircut on top since March, and consequently the average hair length is about 5 inches. before adding to my treatment, i remember hairs falling out that were the same as the overall length. now, the majority of the hair that I am losing is about 1/2 inch to 1 inch in length, and therefore must be hair that I have grown since my last cut.

my gut feeling is that this is a positive response to treatment and a good shed, since I seem to only be losing weak, fine hairs that must have grown in recently. so I'm wondering if I may be right in my feeling (though I guess only time will tell) and if this pattern is common for a shed that is the positive result of treatment?