Is this hair loss?And what to do about localized scalp ache?

doggfather

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm including two pictures of my crown area where I think possible hairloss has already begun. Please let me know what you guys think and if this is male pattern baldness, AA or Telogen Effluvium. My hairloss history has been receding at the front temples. I am not a diffuse thinner.

http://photos.yahoo.com/doggfatherjunk

What I'm concerned about is the right swirl which I have recently noticed. I don't know if that's normal or if that's a sign of hairloss, but when viewed from the side it sort of looks thin. The reason I think it's hairloss is because I have scalp pain in that area (the right crown area). The pain feels like an ache, mildly tingles and stings sometimes. It's bearable but definitely noticeable. When I touch the scalp area it's like touching a mild bruise if you bumped your head against something. The weird thing is I've been on Propecia for 13 months and my hairloss has been in the frontal region (receding hairline) not in the crown area and Propecia is supposed to be most effective in the crown area. So I'm wondering what kind of hairloss this is and what if anything can I do about this pain? Is this pain inflammation or burning scalp syndrome? And if I get rid of this pain will that stop hairloss or is that not getting to the root of the problem?

I've heard that anti-depressants can eliminate this scalp ache and I've also read posts where people have used topical analgesic cream that has Capsaicin in it to alleviate that scalp pain. Any thoughts and solutions appreciated.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
Wish i could help out doggfather, but all i can say is I hope someoen knows the answer. Im going through the same thing, where sometimes the crown feels inflamed, and other times it just sort of aches, like a bruise.

Is anyone here who is suffering from male pattern baldness having the same effects?

G

Re: Is this hair loss?And what to do about localized scalp a

I too get this scalp pain from time to time. Sometimes my scalp feels quite sensative and sometimes it just tingles just as you say.

To say that this is associated with hair loss is a bold statement. I also get these feeling in other parts of the boby as well so that can't be due to hairloss. The scalp is very sensative and it could be any number of things that is causing it.

Do you suffer from cold sores at all?

doggfather

Established Member
Reaction score
No, I don't get cold sores, but the thing that makes me think my scalp ache is associated with male pattern baldness is the thinning, balding spot that has formed (or at least I think has formed) on the right side of my crown as shown in the pictures. I don't know what the normal spot on the middle of the crown is called but I don't think the swirl forming on the right part of my crown is normal is it? And, do you think it's worth going to the doctor about this?

G

doggfather said:
No, I don't get cold sores, but the thing that makes me think my scalp ache is associated with male pattern baldness is the thinning, balding spot that has formed (or at least I think has formed) on the right side of my crown as shown in the pictures. I don't know what the normal spot on the middle of the crown is called but I don't think the swirl forming on the right part of my crown is normal is it? And, do you think it's worth going to the doctor about this?

I would go and see one so that that you know you have asked all the right questions and hopefully get the right answers.

The reason I asked about cold sores is that when they break out that can cause the head to be very sensitive and tingly. I think a lot of us suffer from this irritation but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with hair loss but I might be wrong.

Good luck.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
YOu havent seen a derm yet?? Have him take a look at your scalp, and tell him about the "aching" that is not the same as inflammation. I forgot to mention the aching to my derm last time i was there (about 2 weeks ago) and i feel stupid.