Is this normal?

YouKnow

Reaction score
Well I have been on propecia for almost 6 months. When I first started I had minor thinning in the crown area. Now I am completely diffused in a norwood 6 or 7 pattern. I have been shedding mostly thin hairs, but it seems like my whole head has thinned. Prior to starting propecia my frontal area was fine, but now it is as thin as the rest. My hairline has not receeded at all, but I have a mature hairline. I cannot handle 1 mg of propecia because it gives me gyno, so I lowered to .5 mg and the gyno lessens but is still there. My main question is why has my hair become so diffuse in these six months? Am I shedding, not responding to the drug or lower dosage, or is propecia actually making my hair worse. This sucks, I am only 24. My hair is turning blonder and my eyebrows are also turning blonde in some areas with them shedding as well. I just dont know what to do. Stay on propecia and see what happens or get off of it and see what happens. I went and got my thyroid checked but they said my tsh levels were in range. What do you guys think?

cuebald

Reaction score
True gyno doesn't just "dissapear", it's breast tissue.
Are you sure it's not just fat?

Prince V

Reaction score
It's accelerating your baldness. I have nothing specific to substansiate this but i've read quite a few posts on this forum that lead me to believe maybe 5% of people adversely react to the treatment. Hard luck but it just seems you're one of the unlucky ones that don't benefit form this drug.

Even though the majority will tell you to ride it out and wait till the 12 month mark to see what finasteride has done for your hair, my advice would be to discontinue usage. Especially with the gyno.