Is This Possible?

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have been on 5% minoxidil for about six weeks, Propecia for three weeks, 2% Nizoral three times a week for maybe two weeks or so. I've noticed two things. First, my hairline, which has a deep recession anyway (I'm 48 and have been losing hair gradually for, oh, 20 years or so) has definitely experienced a shed. I have lost more hair there in the last six weeks than at any other six week period in my life. However, unless I'm seeing things, my vertex and crown, on which I have diffuse hair loss but no completely bald spot, look like they have more coverage than when I started. When my hair is wet, it looks the same as before. But when it is dry, it looks to have better coverage than it did when dry six weeks ago.

Now, there is no way that new hair has grown there in six weeks, and even if it has, it is so short that it wouldn't be noticeable yet. However, is it possible that the minoxidil is making my existing hair thicker, which gives the appearance of greater coverage? Can that happen in just six weeks? I am sure that there is no noticeable effect yet from the Propecia and Nizoral.

There is one other possibility. I am also taking Viviscal and have been since I started minoxidil. Why? Well, I know it's not proven, but it's easy, and well, maybe I'm a sucker. :) Anyway, is there any possibility that the Viviscal is contributing to making my hair look thicker?

Deaner

Reaction score
Has your hair been cut in the meantime? Coverage can be because of length.

KK

Reaction score
When I applied the minoxidil the first few weeks I have also experinenced very thick hair and healthier. Somehow minoxidil has increased the existing hair volume. Then see the little vellus hair and now I see more small hair are growing. The vellus hair growth is very slow I wounder if it can turned into thicker hair.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Deaner said:
Has your hair been cut in the meantime? Coverage can be because of length.
It was cut once, but now it is back to about the same length it was before I started on the minoxidil. It's only been in the last week that I've thought that the coverage was better, and it's been in this week that it is about the same length as it was before I started treatment.

One other thing I forgot to mention, I've been using Tricomin along with the minoxidil from day one, mainly to avoid possible scalp irritation. Could this be having any effect? I use it twice a day.